The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Bdisanto

May be a stupid question... But is it possible....

I am just starting my build of a 66 c20 long bed step side and was wondering if it possible to set it up to tow my 30' 5 th wheel camper. It has the I6 250 and a 4 speed. I need to buy a truck to pull the camper but figured if I can make it work with the 66 I can use the money I have for the tow truck for the 66.

I apologize in advance if it is a stupid question

Thanks

Ben
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Bdisanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: May be a stupid question... But is it possible....

A couple of things I would look at. What is the pin weight of the trailer? You may need helper springs in the rear. How about the brakes on the truck and trailer? Are you still running drums all around? If your trailer brakes are fine, you would need to install a brake controller in the truck assuming the trailer brakes are electric.

I might worry about the 250 not having enough power to pull all of that. A 292 would be better

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Bdisanto

Thanks,

The truck already has the extra helper springs, I plan a disc brake conversion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

If you just want to move it around a bit it would work, but there is no way that 250 will pull that up & down the highway.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
padresag

it is not that it cannot pull it. it is the problem of how much traffic that you want to hold up on the hills
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

a bbc or sbc should bolt up to the belhousing, and I think the 250 6 uses the same mounts as the v8?, if no shouldn't be too hard to convert, and probably cost the same ,or less than a new/used truck
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If you already have helper springs and are going to a disc brake, I would have to agree on going with a little more engine to pull that. The sbc and bbc's are easy swaps, but if you want to long haul that 5th wheel a good amount, the more-uncommon diesel swaps are cool for that.
Iirc, member dieselwrencher has a cummins setup...I bet that would haul your trailer nicely.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Narxoleptic Customs

5.3or6.0/4l60 swap... Big brake kit
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree on an engine upgrade in addition to the brake upgrade. I would go with either a big inch small block (383 or 406) or a 454. The small block will drop right in on the 250 motor mounts. A big block will be better if moved ahead with the '68-'71 big block motor mount brackets. If your C20 has the Eaton HO52 I would also consider changing that for a 10.5" 14 bolt with 4.10 gears. The Eaton probably has 4.57 gears which will help you get all that weight moving, but it will limit your highway speed.

If you could find a '73-'87 C20 or C30 with a 400 or 454, that would make an excellent donor truck. Too bad you're so far away, I know where there are a couple locally.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
TJT-Rav

You're going to need to know the GVW and curb weight of your truck, plus the weight of the trailer and anything else you're going to be hauling in the truck and trailer. From what I've found so far, (haven't owned my C20 that long)http://www.oldride.com/library/1966_chevrolet_c20.html the shipping weight for your truck was 3700lbs. Which seems vague as there were a few engine/trans options. Add a tank of fuel and a driver and I'd say 4-4200lbs is a safer number to work with. Hopefully you got lucky and have a 7500lb GVW. Here's a trailer weight calculator that may help you make your decision.http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml It also does fluid weights, which lots of people neglect to add into their estimates. The most important thing to consider is if you can safely control the load, before worrying about how fast you can pull it. All the vehicles full of families whizzing past will appreciate that, as will the DOT officers. That little 250 may not have tons of power, but it's got low gearing to make up for it. You'd probably be pulling your hair out on a long trip, but a short trip might not be so bad if it turns out you can pull the trailer. Good luck
Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Bdisanto

Thanks everyone for all the help, I really appreciate it. I am going to go the V8 route and yes, the truck still has the placard on the drivers side kick plate that says it is a 7500 lb GVW truck. I have some thinking to do

Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device