The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Malfunkzhun

Conveting 63' GMC to power steering and disc brakes

Im trying to convert my 1963 GMC to power steering and disc brakes, i purchased a front end off a 1977 gmc and am having trouble with the idler arm.. the 77' is positioned to the left and the 63' is positioned to the right.. the 63' idler arm is loose when it is placed in the 77' centerlink where as if i were to use the 77' idler arm i would have to drill into the frame to position it right.. So, which do i do?? or do i use the 63' center link, but if i do, will the 77' tie rod ends fit in the 63' center link holes???
Malfunkzhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
RockTonka

Re: Conveting 63' GMC to power steering and disc brakes

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=443871

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I always recommend upgrading to the later model idler arm. You will have to find the correct location and drill 2 new holes to do so. To help find the correct location it will help to takr some measurements as to the position of the end of the drag link with the original idler arm in place. Then just be sure the end of the draglink is in the same location.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
luvbowties

Should you desire to use the '63 arm, a bushing (sleeve) can be simply and safely made. Using a piece of autobody sheet metal(It's just perfect thickness.), cut a piece with 2 parallel sides; cut the other sides, tapering PARTIALLY toward the midline point, from ends of one parallel line towards the other. Now, if you 'roll' this around: 1-a big tapered rod, it will approach a cone; 2-a small tapered rod, it will reach a cone; 3-your tapered idler arm, the sides will just meet up along a straight line. Practice w/a piece of paper for correct msmts. needed. Use this cone-shaped (but with actual cone 'lobbed' off) piece of sheetmetal to 'bush' the sloppy-fitting '63 idler arm to where it now fits snugly in the larger hole in the '77 centerlink. It'll outlast a new idler arm! Good luck.
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote