The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
TJT

Fuel Gauge not working

I don't think it's the battery as the lights and windshield wipers still work. How can I tell what exactly is wrong with it? Is it easy to replace?
TJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Crabshack

Re: Fuel Gauge not working

The fuel gauge on my 62 is on the fritz too. What year? Is it showing full or empty?
Crabshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
TJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabshack View Post
The fuel gauge on my 62 is on the fritz too. What year? Is it showing full or empty?
I have a '64. It's in the middle when the truck is off, then when it's on it shows full.
TJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
kingchr

It is a fairly simple system. Should be an easy to trouble shoot, if not fix. I would start by unplugging the wire from the sending unit in the tank (behind the seat in stock location) and try shorting this sending unit wire against a ground (bare metal), it should go to empty. see if that change happens, if so then I would suspect the sending unit. If it's the sending unit, many times you can simply remove the unit and clean it very thoroughly and reinstall, if still no love then I would suggest a replacement. If the gauge stays with the same program, then it is either the wire itself or the gauge-gauge wiring. In this case I would take the wire loose from the gauge that runs to the tank at the gauge side and attach a new wire and again try grounding it, this should again make the gauge go to E, if so then replace the wire. If not then post back, and we will get her figured out.

Hope you have success this 9/11,
Christopher
kingchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
rockdogg2020

I agree, did the exact same thing. But I pulled the sending unit out and tested the resistance with a DMM. You can also do this with the unit in by disconnecting the wires. My sending unit was bad. Got a new one from classic parts for $30 lmc wanted 50
Posted via Mobile Device
rockdogg2020 is offline   Reply With Quote