The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Houses

DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Hey everyone i just cleaned up my bed and put in Herculiner instead of painting it and want to let everyone see how it turned out. first off my bed had a lot of rust through out the bed so i decided to just sand down to metal before doing anything else. used a combination of a sanding wheel and wire brush on a grinder to do so.

i just liked the way the truck looked here and wanted to throw it in for you guys. not sure if it will be in the front yard again.

ok so here is about half the rust removed.

before the day was over we layed down some primer. its not required before applying liner but i had a can of primer laying around and figured might as well. since it didnt need to be pretty we just layed it down a brush. i think the bed looked good white. almost considered leaving it white.

the next i got to applying the liner. not bad to work with just a pain to get off skin if you wait too long. the other problem i found was the roller coming undone. the ones included in the kit are plastic. maybe a couple more would be better. we didnt get done with the first coat until 8pm and it says to wait at least an hour between coats. that dragged us into the night a little later than we expected. heres a pic of the first coat and my helper.

the third day we put the finishing touches on the liner and filled in the spots we missed.

i think it turned out ok. better than having a rusty bed. texture seemed to get extra rough with the roller coming undone.
Houses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
HTX86chevy

Re: DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Major difference. Thanks for sharing. I plan on doing mine someday.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Was this a kit from Hurculiner? Between the several projects on my truck I am financing money is pretty tight so I figured I might just spray it with some cans of Rustoleaum satin black but this kinda makes me want to save up for this....
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Houses

yeah it was a kit from herculiner. it says the kit only covers a 6 ft bed and you need to buy a extra pint i think for a 8 ft bed. kits consists of paint brush to cover corners and scotch bright two rollers and the can of bed liner. i think i picked it up for 80 or 90 bucks at autozone. beats the price of spray in liners. i painted a different bed just like your thinking and has developed a little bit of rust in some spots. maybe i didnt apply enough paint on those sections.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Billy81

That came out pretty good, How durable is that stuff?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
88Jimmy4x4

looks great, I did mine with herculiner from autozone last weekend
Attached Images

88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
slinginrods

I painted mine with ace rustolem with intentions of putting this on top.thanks for sharing ,it looks great.i will be doing this soon
Posted via Mobile Device
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Houses

billy81 i dont know how durable it is yet. i wont be doing anything heavy with it just didnt want a painted box in case i ever acutally want to use my bed.

88jimmy4x4: truck looks good man.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
1978chevybigten

I painted mine with rustoleum bed liner, it was like $50 at auto zone for a gallon and the kit if was a good price for the quality. It's pretty durable there both great products just depends on what you want to spend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
wyattglock

I have done two trucks with this product in the past, a 1998 S-10 and a 1998 GMC Z-71. It is fine for light duty applications, but if you haul anything that requires dragging it across the bad or shoveling it out, you will be touching it up a lot. The good thing is that it is very easy to touch up. Washes off nicely, and looks pretty darn good for the price.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote