The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Four wheel drive indicator?

It seems that every time my wife rides in my 72 4X4 she insists on sitting right next to me and almost always seems to knock it into 4 hi with her long legs. I never seem to notice it until the fuel gauge drops faster than usual. I'm wanting to add some kind of indicator to let me know when it's in four wheel drive. I'm thinking of putting something in the empty hole next the oil pressure gauge. Any of you done this or seen it done? I have a couple ideas but wouldn't mind seeing what others have done. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Four wheel drive indicator?

My IHC D200 has an indicator lamp as do many other vehicles of the same time period. Later GM vehicles as well. There were also aftermarket indicator kits.
The factory installed NP205 switches are very hard to find and require a special shift rail that has a shallow center notch. If your case has tapped swith provisions (#32) Rail detail see here at quad http://www.quad4x4.com/images/qu30069notchdetail.jpg
But overall the concept is simple. A N.O. switch grounding a dash lamp with an ignition hot (B+). Should be easy enought to find a waterproof switch and make an external bracket.
Or a less elegant but workable solution would be a floor mount gate to prevent shifter movement that you could flip to engage 4X4. If You REALLY need me to I can try to take and post the setup on my remote NP205.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
odog

Hey dont complain, I have a hard time getting my wife to sit next to me
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
Hey dont complain, I have a hard time getting my wife to sit next to me
I was trying to avoid the inevitable space, dog or rug rat in the middle most people deal with. :-)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
camrycurt

Here's one idea: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...00#post4516200

He had a custom indicator made up but at least it might give you an idea or two.

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
My IHC D200 has an indicator lamp as do many other vehicles of the same time period. Later GM vehicles as well. There were also aftermarket indicator kits.
The factory installed NP205 switches are very hard to find and require a special shift rail that has a shallow center notch. If your case has tapped swith provisions (#32) Rail detail see here at quad http://www.quad4x4.com/images/qu30069notchdetail.jpg
But overall the concept is simple. A N.O. switch grounding a dash lamp with an ignition hot (B+). Should be easy enought to find a waterproof switch and make an external bracket.
Or a less elegant but workable solution would be a floor mount gate to prevent shifter movement that you could flip to engage 4X4. If You REALLY need me to I can try to take and post the setup on my remote NP205.
Great info! I had no idea some transfer cases were tapped for an indicator switch. I was planning on engineering a switch system on the shifter itself, under the trans hump, something similar to the switch that controls the neutral safety and backup lights, the one mounted on the steering column. Thanks for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
kwmech

The easiest thing would be to install a center console on the seat, always need more storage and a place to put the drink cups.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
The easiest thing would be to install a center console on the seat, always need more storage and a place to put the drink cups.
That would certainly keep her out of the center! But I kinda like her rubbing my neck and shoulders on a long drive so its worth the trouble to make an indicator! If I had a console I would just fill it with crap that otherwise I would leave at home, I have a ton of crap in the glove box that I don't need already!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
SS Tim

Crawled under my truck and checked out the system on my truck. It has the selector shaft switch like I mentioned previously. The external electrical connector is tucked right up to the crossmember though and a meaningful picture is pretty much out of the question for me to get.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Crawled under my truck and checked out the system on my truck. It has the selector shaft switch like I mentioned previously. The external electrical connector is tucked right up to the crossmember though and a meaningful picture is pretty much out of the question for me to get.
I'll have to crawl under mine and see if mine was at least tapped for one. I have an extra transfer case in great shape. Heck, if it has one I may just throw that sucker in there! Thanks again for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Tman

Something else that may work is something we use at work called a Flag Switch I believe. It is a switch with a 5" or so spring instead of the toggle. If you could mount it so it just touches the shifter in 2wd then when the shifter moves it trips the switch. Could be rigged up to a light somewhere easy to see. We use them to indicate when a dump box is up on a truck, or older heavy equipment without a back up alarm. May be a little redneck for some, but sometimes it's the only option.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Tman

You may not find a Flag Switch as I called it, but I found coil spring acuated momentary switches online of various sizes.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
SS Tim

Found a helpfull picture.
Attached Images