The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Midgets50

relocating shifter

Hi again,
Im currently at school for a few weeks and wont be able to get to my truck to see. but how hard is it to move the shifter to the floor on an automatic. i want to move it from the column to the floor. anyone else done this? if so how hard? and thanks in adanced for the help
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Maximus

Re: relocating shifter

short answer - moving a column shift to a floor shift is not THAT difficult, however one major question needs to be answered -- is it an Automatic or 3-speed manual?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Midgets50

Its an automatic that ive got from my k2500 GMC. im wanting to run the shifter next to the 4x4 shifter on the floor
Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
OrrieG

It's not that hard, hardest part will be finding an inexpensive one with a long enough handle so you do not have to bend over to use it. I had a 67 Camaro unit (used a rod to the trans) that I used for my TH350 bolted to the flat floor pan. I am short and still had to bend and scrunch to use it. Lokar and the high dollar boys make ones with longer handles for rods and trucks. You could also use a racing style cable and build and platform or console to set it on at the right height. Make sure you get one with a neutral safety switch and reverse lock out. not much fun to start your truck in gear or shift from 2nd to third but end up in reverse at speed.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Midgets50

Thanks for the advice,
im gonna run homemade from the cab up. im threading a whitetail antler and will screw it onto the shifter. originally i was going to run it through my steering column but i think the deer antler setup will look great and go with the style im trying to put with the truck