The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
cameyer

Weather stripping

Hey all! I'm looking to replace the weather stripping in my 1964 k10 pickup. I just need to replace the weather stripping around the doors, around the wing windows and the weather stripping around the side windows? What is the best/cheapest way to do this? Are there kits? Or wrath stripping you can buy by the foot? Need to get this replaced before winter comes
Posted via Mobile Device
cameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
FAT TONY

Re: Weather stripping

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=11

weather strip kit
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Winter in Santa Cruz? You could have your doors off and be comfy

That said, I also got most of my weatherstripping from lmc. The door gasket is easy, just get some 3m black weatherstrip adhesive and work your way around. You may need to re-adjust your door hinges or the striker, as the new door rubber fits "thicker" than the old stuff and pushes the door out for the first week or so until the rubber can go through a few heat cycles and settle in.

I did a writeup on the vent windows, its in this section a few pages back.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
cameyer

Well I defiantly won't need the weather stripping for the temperature but I will sure need it for the rain, definitely don't wont waterfall coming in between the doors! That's for the input guys! Do you happen to know if there is just a generic weather stripping you could buy by the foot that would work? This kits seen a little pricey
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

The LMC stuff is about the least I think.. As well looking into the door for anti-rattle etc.. Really for the most part if you are taking it apart do them all. Its not hard and many have posted how they made the kits work a bit better..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
TopFuel1966

Do you want best or do you want cheap. IMO Steele Products is the best but not cheap. If you want cheap you have to go with poor quality off shore stuff.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

And cheap may not be the cheap result end of the day.. The off shore stuff does not work well most times.. I bought LMC seals and would not if I had to do it over again.. Just my opinion.. but when you do a ground up build you get to the point where dealing with stuff is just another day.. Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
westcoast5

so LMC stuff is garbage?
westcoast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
cameyer

Does Steele carry a kit that may be a little cheaper than buying the stripping individually?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameyer View Post
Does Steele carry a kit that may be a little cheaper than buying the stripping individually?
Posted via Mobile Device
They did not at the time I did mine but you could inquire.

http://www.steelerubber.com/
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Solo2002

i did a friends truck with lmc and it turned out good we pulled it a slight bit and glued it on. for my truck im going to try classic parts weather strip kit looks similar and same price
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
GMR-PERFORMANCE

LMC is not the best that much I can tell you, my first choice would be sofseal... But I did not .. hind site.. ANd right now I am fighting to get the DS door to set up correctly due to the thickness of the door seal.. SUCKS really but not much I can do at this point..
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Solo2002

LMC is prob not the best but I do know you need to stretch the door seals a lil bit as you go along putting it on in short sections if not the door will bounce back at you when you try to close it. But when I do mine I will try out the ones from classicparts.com for $22 I think I can spare that and if they are like the LMC weather strips then I'll stretch them a tiny bit to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I gotta disagree on stretching it. I've been told that stretching and gluing it then will create more issues with cracking and wearing out as it ages, since your breaking some of the cell structure in the foam (its not really rubber per se).

It will bounce back for a little while right after you put them in. You need to put them in, adjust the door so it fits OK (not perfect), and clamps the seal correct all the way around. Close the doors tightly and put it in the sun for a while. You'll notice and improvement in the door closing within a day or two, and after a few more days of sun and usage, it will loosen up more. It takes a little time, but in about a week you can re-adjust your doors for better gap and re adjust the strikers so it latches right.

As a side note, if you watch some episodes of overhaulin, they leave out stuff like door seals in certain cars for the reveal...my thoughts is so the doors look right when close, since the seals wouldn't have time to settle, and they didn't want to reveal a car with wacky door gaps. Owners dont' get the car right away, they kinda do a shakedown before giving it back.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
Solo2002

we didnt really stretch it just slightly pulled it maybe an 1/8 inch in a foot he is still happy with everything doors shut great then and now dont rattle leak or have wind noise but thats just how i was taught how to do seals just slightly pull and i mean slightly an old man taught me that way in my teens and it just stuck with me
Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
CRGRS 66

Thanks to the OP, and all others who have posted, great information... for me anyway

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote