The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
lowchevytrucks8503

Sick of looking for wheels

I called raceline. i wanted a set of staggered 20s appearantly they don't make any that fits over the hubs.... Can barely find staggered 20s as it is...
lowchevytrucks8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
muthstryker

Re: Sick of looking for wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowchevytrucks8503 View Post
I called raceline. i wanted a set of staggered 20s appearantly they don't make any that fits over the hubs.... Can barely find staggered 20s as it is...
Whats your budget? What style of wheel are you looking for?
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
lowchevytrucks8503

I really want staggered 22s or 20s. Looks like me and you have the same taste in wheels. Seems like everything ive tried that I can afford doesn't fit the hub, offset, or I cant put the hub cap on because the dust cover. I am looking at the eagle 225s. What would you rate the quality? Wish they came in 22s but I guess I have to deal with 20s. i previously had Boss 304s in 20x8.5. The offest was no where close and I wanted 20x10 for the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
dropd80s

If you swap over to the 1" rotors you will not have as big a problem finding wheels that fit the dust cap. You're going to spend a little swapping the spindles and etc. over but like I always say, if it was easy anyone could do it.

Dropped and LS Swapped SWB 87 Build Thread
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
dropd80s

Just noticed you were in WF. I think I responded to another one of your posts a while back.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
muthstryker

Quote:
I really want staggered 22s or 20s. Looks like me and you have the same taste in wheels. Seems like everything ive tried that I can afford doesn't fit the hub, offset, or I cant put the hub cap on because the dust cover. I am looking at the eagle 225s. What would you rate the quality? Wish they came in 22s but I guess I have to deal with 20s. i previously had Boss 304s in 20x8.5. The offest was no where close and I wanted 20x10 for the back.
Posted via Mobile Device
The large truck hubs are a pain in the ass, as mentioned above switching your entire front set up to 1" light duty rotors would help alot in finding wheels. Another option would be to have your hubs machined down to clear the hub bore on the wheel and address the dust cover option after words.

The finish on the 225s is good for what they are, polished cast. The center of the wheel wont ever polish up like a true billet wheel. I could spend an hour polishing one wheel and it would always look murky. Overall the quality is pretty good for what they cost. I had to grind down my brake hubs up front so they would clear.

Finding staggered wheels in 22s is going to be hard, another option would be to have the wheels you like widened in the back to a 22x10.

I will look for some options later today, at work so its hard to surf the net..
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
lowchevytrucks8503

I do live in WF. I'm actually in midland working most of the time 6/3 schedule. I already dropped the truck 5/7 with a flip kit and spindles/coils from djm. If I get the 225s will I still need to swap to the 1" setup? thanks guys for the help i've been pulling my hair out with this.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
lifted k10

Sorry to be a noob, but how do you go about doing that conversion. What parts are needed. Thanks
lifted k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
dropd80s

Quote:
I do live in WF. I'm actually in midland working most of the time 6/3 schedule. I already dropped the truck 5/7 with a flip kit and spindles/coils from djm. If I get the 225s will I still need to swap to the 1" setup? thanks guys for the help i've been pulling my hair out with this.
Thats funny, my brother and dad are both workin in the permian basin at the moment. I assume you work in the oil field? As far as the 225s, I think you will either have to swap to the 1" rotors or grind on the hub itself on the 1.25" rotors you prolly have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted k10 View Post
Sorry to be a noob, but how do you go about doing that conversion. What parts are needed. Thanks
You will need spindles, rotors, bearings, wheels seal, calipers, pads, and more than likely brake hoses too. One of the bearings may be the same between the two setups, but just save yourself the trouble and get a new set. Last time I did this swap on my CCSB I had to swap brakes hoses also, but not sure if this is always the case. If you have drop spindles now you will have to buy new ones. If you do not have drop spindles just make sure and get the correct ones for 1" rotors. If you do not have or want drop spindles the junk yard or CL are good sources for parts. Look for single cab short bed trucks, as they will be most likely to have the lighter duty brakes. The bigger the truck the more likely it will have HD brakes on it. I don't know if suburbans ever got OE 1" rotors. Also the measurement being refered to here is the thickness from one surface of the rotor face to the other.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
muthstryker

You will not have to swap out your brakes with the 225s, you will how ever need to grind down the hub. I will go out and take a picture of the hub right now. If you do go with the 225s, make sure and get these backspacings

20x8.5 - 5" backspace
20x10 - 5.5" backspace

I've noticed a lot of people are running the 20x8.5s with the 4.5" backspace that they have available , and the wheel just sits out way to far. Thats what I had on my truck and the wheel sat out way to far and would rub on my fender lip
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
muthstryker

So I cant find my pics of my hubs before I ground them down, but if you look at yours then this picture, you can tell how much I took off of them to fit the 225s. It ended up being about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
lowchevytrucks8503

Yeah, stuck out here doing wireline, its where all the work is for now. okay thanks for the help. that shouldn't be much of a big deal. Looks like i found a good deal on some staggered coys so I'm most likely going with those. wasn't my first choice but they'll do good enough for now.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
txclassics

I'm feeling you man. I originally bought these wheels for my 1981 Chevy from Raceline. Depending whether I'm a do 22's staggered from Raceline again or smoothies from Wheel Vintique 17x9 rears 17x7 fronts on white walls i might have to go to the junkyard and rip off the front suspension from an 80's model truck.
Attached Images

txclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
f.monroe

I do not what budget you are trying to stay with but I think you should buy the best wheels you can or at least what you want. Don't settle. I recently sold my 20" Intros because I have always wanted Billet Specialties SL dish Vintecs. I now have a completely new set of staggered width SL dish vintecs with new tires for right at 3K. Toyo Proxes ST 2's in 255/40 and 295/40 20's. They fit the heavy duty rotors fine.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
muthstryker

Brought back from the dead!

If you can, wait and save your money for the wheels you really want! even if they cost 3-4k even if it takes you a year.

Its worth it in the end.