The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Trade a 73 C/20 454 for a 79 Jimmy 4x4?

I'm thinking about trading my 1973 Chevy c/20 long bed 454 for a 1979 GMC Jimmy 350 4x4! Both trucks are in pretty much the same condition, they run and drive except the Jimmy has been sitting for a few years! What should I do?

savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
manimal

Re: Trade a 73 C/20 454 for a 79 Jimmy 4x4?

"ME" personally, I would keep the truck, more uses for a truck, but that is just me. Also, if you never use 4wd then why bother? Good Luck!
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

They both serve different purposes. Depends on what you need it for.

I have one of each. I need the truck to haul things and tow the trailer. I use the 4x4 blazer as a daily driver and an occasional off road excursion up in the Bradshaws.

Why not buy the blazer and keep both,,,that's what I would do. But don't listen to me, I'm a pack rat with too many cars as it is
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
75chev4x4

I would keep the 73 they are getting harder to find and u can pull way more with the truck if u need to.
75chev4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
savatreatabvr

I live in central Phx but it's only a 30 minute drive to prime desert 4x4ing! My truck is rock solid so when I go out I take 2 dirtbikes and 2 quads on my trailer, the 454 pulls it all fine but I can only go so far without four wheel drive that's why I considered the Jimmy but I think it may not cut the mustard only having a 350? Nothing worse then braking down in the middle of the desert on a hot summer day!
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
79 silverado
Account Suspended

On the Jimmy check down low for rust... If you're looking at the truck from the side there is a place between the wheelwell and door jamb. Behind this there is a built in step in the floor of the truck where the vehicle floor steps upwards from the flat floor the front seats sit on and it raises about 6" or so to where the rear seat rests on. This area is creates a sort of box, like if you removed the lid and two sides from a shoe box. Not only do they like to rust there, but this is the attachment point for the front shoulder belt. Looking at the truck from outside you cannot see this area, and the backing on the carpet can make a rotted out corner feel fairly solid from inside. Do not trade without looking over spots like that for rust or you may get a surprise, even though it is in the desert I do see some trucks that have rusted in the desert before....

You need to look at the spot from inside the wheelwell to see, its not apparent from the outside surface of the truck if there is rust there...
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Edahall

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
I live in central Phx but it's only a 30 minute drive to prime desert 4x4ing! My truck is rock solid so when I go out I take 2 dirtbikes and 2 quads on my trailer, the 454 pulls it all fine but I can only go so far without four wheel drive that's why I considered the Jimmy but I think it may not cut the mustard only having a 350? Nothing worse then braking down in the middle of the desert on a hot summer day!
Blazers and trailers don't really mix well. With the short wheel base, they tend to sway badly. However, you can use a Hensley or Pull-Rite hitch to correct a lot of this but it's $$$.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
Doesn't sound like you're hauling much, dirt bikes and quads aren't that heavy. The blazer would pull that stuff fine.

Where you get into trouble is tougue weight and the short wheel base. I've pulled small campers and even an 18' open trailer with a car on it with my blazers, but I use a load distribution hitch,,,that's the key to gain some stability. I wouldn't even use the blazer to pull a flat trailer with quads without a load distribution hitch minimum, and I prefer trailer brakes, even on the small trailers when I use the blazer.

However most of the time I use my 1 ton pickup for pulling, especially the big stuff.

I see alot of little broncos and jeeps around here that off road, and alot of them pull one of those off road pop up utility campers with them and they go all over the place in the mountains around here. Don't see why a blazer can't do it. I'd still keep the pickup truck though
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
JAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
Blazers and trailers don't really mix well. With the short wheel base, they tend to sway badly. However, you can use a Hensley or Pull-Rite hitch to correct a lot of this but it's $$$.
Yeah, I would agree with this statement. Pulling my 15' trailer with my blazer is pretty interesting. Better have your load strapped down good because that trailer is doing a whole lot of moving around. But then again, my blazer is lifted so that tends to make it worse.

The fun factor is definitely higher with the blazer, but it may not be practical to pull a trailer all the time full of bikes and quads. Your truck is better for that for sure. Sounds like you just need to convert your truck to 4wd...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

I wouldn't convert the truck,,,,,4x4 trucks are a dime a dozen.

For his light load, I'd just use a blazer. Or find yourself a 4x4 pickup if you prefer the longer wheel base,,,then off roading becomes an issue though.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said yours is lifted and makes towing fun. None of my blazers have ever been lifted (neither is my current one) and they towed 3800 lbs. cars on open trailers fine,,,,,BUT,,,,you need that load distribution hitch or you are going to have a butt puckering ride
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
JAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said yours is lifted and makes towing fun. None of my blazers have ever been lifted (neither is my current one) and they towed 3800 lbs. cars on open trailers fine,,,,,BUT,,,,you need that load distribution hitch or you are going to have a butt puckering ride
Yeah, it is fun. You hit a bump and it tends to do that see-saw motion. I used my blazer and trailer to move a fridge for my friend. I told him that I am not liable for the fridge not making it there. Luckly, I strapped the heck out of it and let ride... It was kinda scary actually topping a steep hill. That was fun... But yes blazers are very capable set up correctly.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

check the top frame area around the rear wheel,
right behind body mount and before the shock mount
there is a small pocket there between the two, holds salt well
my 79 is a 203 transfer case full time 4X4,
i see manual hubs? not the "right"way to unlock it unless it has a kit
even then most need to run in the 4X4 to lube it,unless the filler tube is extended
had no probs pulling my small trailer(20') but wouldn't try more then moving my (30')
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote