The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
weever82

Cab mounts... For the novice?

Need to swap out my cab mounts. They have to be original rubber and have seen better days.

Are they hard to install for a novice? Never even held a set of them but figured it could be fairly easy?

Any tips or pointers would be great or tell me to have a shop do them if difficult.

Also, who makes the best quality? Don't mind spending the money for the better sets out there.

Thanks for yor time!

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Cab mounts... For the novice?

I just got a set of poly mounts for my 69 K10 from CPP. $75 for the set including the radiator core mounts. Came with all new sleeves/washers/bolts and nuts.

I haven't installed them yet, but they appear to be good quality and price.

I did notice the set was packaged in a "poly performance" box. Might be able to find it cheaper on the internet?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
ole dollor

i did the cab mount swap a few months ago, jacked the pickup up and put it on jack stands, pulled the rad. out so i could get to the ft. mounts, pulled the carpet back on both sides for the two middle mounts. and went to work, used a 4"x4" block of wood about two feet long and use a floor jack to push the wood up at each mount, just enough to clear the mount, it would have been a lot easier with two people....but all i had was me....it really was not that hard....but old men work kinda slow....loosen all of them up, but do one side at a time ...with one side just loose and the other side bolts out.....hope this helps your project.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Pretty straight forward. I would not recommend the poly mounts for the cab unless you like a solid ride. The whole idea of cab mounts is to absorb road vibrations and poly mounts are hard enough that they actually transfer road vibrations to the cab. I know they are cheaper but some guys that have bought them have taken them back out and bought rubber ones.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Twiz

They are not that hard. Did them on my 68 project. With the cab you get 2 different sizes though. remember how they came out cause when I pulled my floor out I had to use a plasma cutter to get my old ones out and didnt know how they were supposted to go. I bought my set from LMC. The ones that don't come with nuts go in the back of the cab.
Twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
weever82

Thanks for the help guys. Read some old posts and people stated you can have problems with having to realign the doors??... Anyone have this problem?

Thanks again! When I tackle it, I will be posting up a thread on it w/ pics.

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Pretty straight forward. I would not recommend the poly mounts for the cab unless you like a solid ride. The whole idea of cab mounts is to absorb road vibrations and poly mounts are hard enough that they actually transfer road vibrations to the cab. I know they are cheaper but some guys that have bought them have taken them back out and bought rubber ones.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
Appreciate the advice... the rubber ones will probably out last me anways and if they didn't... I would just replace them again.

Weev-

Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Locdoc is Right poly mounts are not good after while they squeak.These trucks have run Rubber parts most of there lives.I have 2 guys that Run at Bonivill salt Flats and 1 had a world speed record.He's built a lot of Race car's and 3 stock car's 2 for bush racing back in 1987 and 1 cup car in 1984.He's built over 50 old car's and trucks.He's tryed your poly mounts.He tells me they Take the form of a bolt if it moves it will just tear up the mount and start making it oblong and cracks & tares start to forming.Now with Rubber it dose not care if the bolt can get lose or be miss alined. It Will hold up for over 20 years or even 50 years. Rubber dose not have memory but poly mounts do.I had a set in my 1968 long horn 3/4 ton work truck in the front end 4 years down the road cus i used it as a work truck them mounts where Junk in 4 years in my A arms I tore up one of my A arms cus it got lose cus the poly had cracks in it and peaces where gone from the Bushing my engine mounts where a joke.Rubber is so hard to find and most people Buy poly Crap cus its all that is out there in Auto stores now.I have to go to the classic truck books to find Rubber..I like sticking to something that works.One other thing I tryed poly in my latter bar's and Panare bare in the back to locate the rear end there a joke
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote