The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
rotorhd58

conversion, power brake and steering

1970 C10 would like to convert to power on the brakes and steering will be getting new power steering box
is there a certain model year that i should be looking for to pull vacuum diaphram from is there somewhere on this site that gives step by step and parts that i would need to accomplish this
rotorhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
GMCJOE

Re: conversion, power brake and steering

I haven't looked on here to see if someone has a thread on doing the conversion. But I am sure there is considering all that everyone has done. I am mechanic and mechanically inclined. Pretty much all you will need is the power brake booster and bracket for the firewall with a master cylinder and proportioning valve for disk brakes. You will also need the brake pedal assembly.

A long with that, you will need the spindle hub (and all hardware such as disk and caliper). You can use your existing control arms, but you will have to swap your ball joints to ones a disk brake set-up would have.

You will find the disk brakes on 70-72 chevy's, gmc's, and blazers.

Hope this is helpful. I am gathering parts for this swap myself. Though I have to buy new parts for the hub and such to keep mine 6 lug.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
GMCJOE

Re: conversion, power brake and steering

If you just going to keep your drum brakes and go with a power booster. Any power booster set-up will work, you will just need to use a master cylinder for drums power brakes and a proportioning valve for drum/drum power brakes. You will still need the brake pedal assembly for the power brake booster. All 67-72 for the power brake booster and pedal assembly. A new master cylinder from Auto Zone goes for as cheap as $14 and some change. The proportioning valve, you may be able to reuse your current drum/drum (unknown, haven't research that), or you can get one from LMC or CCP and other site's.

Several people in the parts forum are selling the power brake boosters with master cylinders and have the pedal assembly's too. Good luck

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote