The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
BiggSixx1970

Unhappy Transmission woes.

Hey guys!

Having some transmission/shifter problems here. A rough breakdown on what happened, I was shifting my 4 speed from second to third, I try to put it in third and it was like it hit a wall and wouldn't go in, I backed out into neurtal and tried to put it in another gear, it appears to be stuck?

I got my seat pulled out, mats and flooring out, shift boot removed, access panel above the transmission removed, and most of the gunk cleared off. I was expecting to see some levers or loose gear linkage that needed to be tightened up, but my SM465 is pretty bare on top.. Could my stick have broke? If so how do i remove it? Do I have to remove the top of the transmission case and get inside it to fix anything? I appreciate the help.. I have heard these 4 speeds are bomb proof, so I doubt I broke my transmission, and I really don't think my clutch went out.

Thanks,
Steve

PS. Will add pictures later tonight when I get off work

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545486

Gentlemen wear a bow tie.
BiggSixx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Transmission woes.

Take a pair of channel lock pliers & push down on the coller at the top of the Tower. Turn it CCW about 30 degrees & the lever should lift out. If the trans is in neutral the slots in all the rails should be lined up. Reverse will have a noggen on it. If not lined up take a big screw driver & move the rail into position of the others. Taking the top off & putting it on is kinda tricky.
Its true they are tough but do fail ocasionally. If its bad it will be easiest to put in a used one. They are a dime a dozen & have wide spead interchange ability.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote