The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Marcosmadness

Chevy 235 governor removal

I would like to hear from those of you who have actually removed a velocity governor from a Chevrolet 235. The first question is, can the governor be left in place and the speed adjusted (with the governor speed adjustment screw) till the engine will run "wide open"? Is this possible? If not, what is involved with removing the governor. According to a simple reading of the manual explaining how to repair and maintain these governors, it involves more than simply removing the governor and throwing it in the trash if I am going to re-use the original updraft carburetor. So what is involved? Again, I would appreciate hearing from those people who have actually done this before. This engine is installed in a 1959 Step Van so I would like to stay with the updraft carburetor to avoid cutting up the "dog house" covering the engine.
Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Chevy 235 governor removal

I used to take the butterfly out of them. Then you still have the spacing & throttle linkage.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
Marcosmadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I used to take the butterfly out of them. Then you still have the spacing & throttle linkage.
It sounds like you worked on more than one truck with a governor so a couple of questions... I assume that you had to remove the carburetor and the governor in order to remove the butterfly from the governor, correct? At that point, with the carburetor and governor off the engine, you still felt that it was easier to remove the butterfly than to throw the governor away and deal with the spacer and the linkage, correct? If you had decided to permanently remove the governor what are the issues involved? You have mentioned linkage and spacers... how big a problem are they? If you permanently remove the governor you must have to do something different with the vacuum line, correct? Are there any other problems associated with permanently removing the governor?
When you remove the butterfly do you have to do anything different with the vacuum line? Are the screws holding the butterfly in place on the shaft "upset" on the end so they don't vibrate loose?
These questions may show my appalling lack of knowledge on this subject which I readily admit. I have only owned the truck for a couple of months and have been busy sorting out a list of problems. I haven't had the carburetor or governor off the engine yet and on a step van it is difficult to even see them clearly with the location of the up draft carburetor. Once I have the carburetor and governor off the truck some of the answers to the questions I have asked may be obvious. However, I would rather ask questions first and get a sense of the potential problems before I start a new project that I don't know much about. Thanks for your help.
Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
JumboAMONGus

you have a pic of the updraft just asking cause i never seen an updraft , that be kinds cool to put on a home made dual intake manifold instead of normal down drafts , on a 6 cyl ,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote