The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
daveo68

Painless wiring and GM Performance

I have a Painless Wiring kit # 10206. I installed crate engine from Gm Performance and the serpentine setup. Can someone show me how to wire the alternator that came with the serpentine kit using this wiring harness.I've looked at the threads on alternators but am totally confused. Any help will be appreciated.Also, my truck has gauges and everything I've seen is for using warning light.
Thanks,
Dave

davideowens@lexcominc.net

God Bless America

Last edited by daveo68; 09-23-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
daveo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
daveo68

Re: Painless wiring and GM Performance

ttt

God Bless America
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo68 View Post
I have a Painless Wiring kit # 10206. I installed crate engine from Gm Performance and the serpentine setup. Can someone show me how to wire the alternator that came with the serpentine kit using this wiring harness.I've looked at the threads on alternators but am totally confused. Any help will be appreciated.Also, my truck has gauges and everything I've seen is for using warning light.
Thanks,
Dave
You will need to figure out what wiring harness you have for what alternator. You most likely have a mismatch. If the harness is for an external voltage regulator then the alternator plug will look like the first picture below. The serpentine alternator is probably a CS style and will have a plug on it for 4 wires labeled P L S I.

Name:  1964--66 chevy truck help pictures 018.jpg
Views: 4241
Size:  50.6 KB

Look at the alternator part of the harness and verify if It is like the picture and if you have a 4 wire plug for the external regulator. It will have a brown red, blue and white wire in it. This is the stock setup for a 68 truck.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
clinebarger

Trucks with gauges have a "resistor" wire that comes off the ignition switch, goes to the bulkhead pass through then had a regular wire going to the regulator.

I think the original wire colors were brown under the hood....Brown/white under the dash (resistor wire).

With a Painless harness.....Add a 82-OHM 5-watt resistor between the regulator & exciter wire in the painless harness (white wire).

I think you have a CS-130 alternator, Look it up & get back to me so I can give diagrams.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
POPO1984

Subed
Posted via Mobile Device
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
daveo68

It has the plug on it for 4 wires labeled P L S I. The Painless manual show's to use just the S & L part of the plug. Say's to put diode inline on the white wire to "L". The white wire is "exciter wire". i removed the regulator and have new wires front to back. Also do I need to wire up the fuses for the ammeter,I need some help with that, too. This has not been a "Painless" engine swap.

God Bless America

Last edited by daveo68; 09-23-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
longorange68

Go to madelectrical.com talk to the owner. If you survive this phone call you will know more about automotive electrical components than anyone else in this board. Dude is really nice though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
clinebarger

Use the resistor I mentioned above.....Hook it to the "L" terminal, Painless states to hook up the "I" terminal also.....From what Ive seen you dont have to.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Yes use the resistor 80 ohm 5watt . Painless says use a diode but I think they meant resistor. The I terminal is used on computer vehicles for feedback to the charging indicator which you don't have.

If you are going to use the battery gauge then you will have to wire the alternator to a junction of the battery and the alternator along with the feed wire to the firewall block. One of the battery gauge wires will be connected to the battery + at the right fender terminal where the fusible link from the battery
positive is connected. There must be a shunt wire from there to the other side of the truck connected to the junction. The other wire to the battery gauge will connect there. Each of these wires will have a 4 amp inline fuse to protect the battery gauge. The diagram below shows all this. The red circles are the fuses.

Name:  V8-engine-web%20amp%20fuse.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  99.5 KB

Here's the junction on the stock harness.

Name:  junction.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  40.5 KB

Here's the alternator plug. You only need L and S

Name:  Alternator Pinout.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  62.6 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote