The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
wwj75c30

cab removale help

ok my plans for the 73 chaged and i need to remove the cab . how hard is the cab to remove? can i get it done ina day? how do you guys do remove your cabs? truck is a single cab 4 speed cab

73 c20 custom deluxe sm465 14bff parts truck
wwj75c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: cab removale help

remove the nose.. remove heater lines and any ground straps to the body.. disconnect the steering column and linkage, unplug the wiring harness unbolt the two body mounts under the floorboards and the two from the back of the canb thn if youre doing it manually remove the seat and doors and anything else you can to make it lighter and have a couple of beer buddies lift it up and take it off.. I find it easier to use a canvass strap and a come along if you can or a winch or forklift/tractor i can get one off in an hour or so depending on how easy the body mounts unbolt

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
wwj75c30

doesnt sound bad. thank you ill probally get a couple of buddys to help. so its not that bad?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
rustyrodknocker

It's a big job if you have never done it before. Use a cherry picker with a 4x4 bolted on top and stick it through the door opening. They are heavy even stripped down. I built a ramp out of some old 6x6's and greased the tips and shoved one off by my self.never again also if you stick a cherry picker through the back window once it off the truck you can set it of the legs of the picker and it makes a great cart to roll it around.
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i didnt find it to be a bad job.. the worst was the time it took to get the cab mounts off... i spend a couple fo days spraying them with liquid wrench and pb blaster then i would work them out a half turn and bring it back at a time.. the worst part was spending the money on a couple of cases of beer for after we lifted the cab off the time i did this on my 76 I suppouse the less handy you are the worse it is

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
wraprail

If you chop it up into enough pieces it's not so bad.

wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
liftlawssuck

It's not a big job at all. Piece of cake. I've done many of them and even removed them to fix other things rather than trying to work around the cab. One I even left the nose on and lifted the whole thing off with a lift. If you lift it off yourselves the hardest part is walking it past the frame. Just big and awkward walking with it around tires. Just start disconnecting everything and before you know it, it's ready to come off. Good luck!
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
wwj75c30

i gotta finish getting the rusted front clip off