The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
long80gmc

New to me truck, also new here

Hello all, the name is Dwight. Im a new square body chevy owner. I've been a ford guy all my life....don't judge. I was looking for a new project, i was actually looking for a 73-79 ford, but this came up. A friend i have known since kindergarten posted his truck up for sale on facebook. I knew he had the truck, he did not drive it much as he has a harley and a corvette as well, along with some other sick rides. But the asking price was not bad, has a crate 350, new 700r4 with a shift kit, and the rear end has been rebuilt with 3.42s and posi. He bought the truck that way for the drivetrain, but the truck being as solid as it is he did not want it to rot in a field. From what the previous owner told him the drivetrain now has around 10k miles on it. It also has a holly 750cfm double pumper on it....it chokes when you give it to much gas. Idk rather or not its the carb, or its just getting to much gas. So i have a 600cfm that i got for free getting redone by a local guy that builds engines. The truck originally had 31" tires on it, but it being 2wd, i want to lower it, so i got rid of those and flipped them for a few hundred and threw some tires i had laying around in my garage on. Anywho, here is a pic, suggestions welcome. I do want to lower, but i dont want to notch the frame so with people saying they have to, or dont have to with the flip kits, its a hard decision!

80gmc by d_imel05, on Flickr
long80gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
frog210

Re: New to me truck, also new here

rebuild the carb or maybe the fuel pump is going out/ dirty filters
i think a flip kit would be good, but dont quote me on it

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
long80gmc

it looks to have a new fuel pump on it. havent pulled the filter yet, but im sure it will run better with the smaller carb, and drink less gas. Im really leaning towards the flip kit actually, first things first though, get it running right, steering parts, a few odds and ends. Then lower it this winter, as working underneath it now at stock height will be LOADS easier then it being just a few inches from the ground!...well...at least for my..large frame..
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
frog210

my truck would start to choke/ bog down when i would go 25-35mph, changed out the fuel pump and fix the problem well for me maybe
check for any collapsed gas lines or kinked lines

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
mud.man.rj

Welcome to Chevy land, had a 79 Bronco just before this 71 Gm 4x4, so no judging here, haha. I buy what I get a deal on that I like, lines are lines when they are good. Gm's sure are easier to work on though and parts interchange is awesome. Good luck on the project, just takes time but sounds like a great start.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
long80gmc

It does not matter how fast you are going when it chokes. I can run down the highway as long as i dont press the gas to hard.

mud.man.rj, i used to have a 78 bronco. also had a 78f150. Which is why i was wanting another one, but this deal came up. Im hopeing for a cheap, fun truck. Im leaving the body/paint alone. Make it look ratty for when i get a stop light challenge!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
mud.man.rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by long80gmc View Post
It does not matter how fast you are going when it chokes. I can run down the highway as long as i dont press the gas to hard.

mud.man.rj, i used to have a 78 bronco. also had a 78f150. Which is why i was wanting another one, but this deal came up. Im hopeing for a cheap, fun truck. Im leaving the body/paint alone. Make it look ratty for when i get a stop light challenge!
I did like my Bronco, was different on purpose, big and Bad but still favored the 71 Gm 4x4 I had in 2003 so bought it back again and did it my way again, just needed more Hp and personality, which it got. Sometimes if done right cheap and easy work, for paint anyway. Here's a pic of the Bronco just to Ford you again. Haha.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
long80gmc

yea...that broncos pretty sexy! haha. i just love that style of ford trucks.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
mud.man.rj

Careful...remember your on a Gm/Chevy site, haha. Ya I liked the Big Bronc but the Gm style just sticks with me and parts interchange make it so easy to really build something cool for like half the cost.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
meter swinger

My travelall has a holley on it and behaves the same way. Give it too much and it dies. It has push button start with a non locking collum so i can re-fire on the fly. I used to have 63 unibody and a 63 country squire. Also some newer f@£ds. Nothing at all wrong with any of them...Chevrolets are just a little sexier.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
mopar346

Welcome to the forum. I have a few Ferds (well one of them is a Merc) and a CJ which is half Ferd.

One of the great things about a Holley is they are VERY tuneable. I know you have a smaller one but depending on the rest of your equipment and which 600 you have it may be too small. Your accelerator pump may be too big or bad and/or pump cam may be too big or out of adjustment. It could be too much fuel or not enough. You make a few adjustment and change the jets if necessary and make the 750 work. It almost sounded to me like you already swapped and sold it in your original post so this maybe a moot point. My Merc.
Attached Images

mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
long80gmc

Nice Merc!
And i think all car guys should get along! haha

I havent put on the 600cfm yet, i got a guy rebuilding it. It came off a blazer with a 350 in it so it should hold fine. I got the carb for free so im only in it a rebuild kit and a lil cash to a buddy to rebuild it. After looking at whats on it some more, i think its a 600 double pumper? I got it running a little better, but still has a flutter. If this 600cfm aint enough, i may step up to a 750. I had a bonneville that had a 307 in her, put a 600cfm holley and had to lean the hell out of it to run. So im hoping its big enough.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
mud.man.rj

That is a pretty stylin Merc, a little lower could be really sweet. Hard to say if a 600 is big enough until you try it, a truck being heavier than a car will usually require more fuel to push it but Holley's tend to be a bit on the fatter side Cfm wise than a Gm or Edelbrock carb, so may work fine for you.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
long80gmc

I looked it up...of course it could be wrong, the the bonneville weighed 3825, and a half ton pickup like mine is around 4400. So not much difference, be kinda like the car being weighed down...which it has been. I once fit my entire jazz trio and all the instruments in that car...we had a gig about 30 miles away..we all sat in the front, and put everything else in the back seat the the trunk..that was a big car!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
THE "10" SILVERADO

Your truck looks exactly like mine....welcome to the forum though!
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
long80gmc

Lol nice! The cragars came on mine. Im torn on rather to run them, or run some wheels a guy at work gave me. I am a little worried about the unilug on the cragars as the motor in the truck is prettty strong. If you gun it the tires will spin thru first, and when you hit 2nd it pitches sideways. Could be the tires I have on it now don't have much life left. And they came off my friends s10. So they are a tad small.
Posted via Mobile Device