The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Maximus

Source for a Hydraulic Brake Light Switch with an Inverted Flare thread?

Hey guys, with my Power Brake setup I cant get the floor mounted brake switch to turn off reliably, every other time i hit the brakes the lights stick on, and I'm sick of playing with it. I put a "T" inline with my front brakes and installed a random brake switch I found at a parts store that had the same threads (1/8" I think? - just the normal brake line/MC thread size), but it has a flat end at the end of the threads, and leaks brake fluid.

I would wrap in teflon but doesn't it get its ground from the threads?

If it doesn't then i guess that will solve my problem, otherwise does someone know of a hydraulic brake switch that can thread in and seat on the inverted flare fitting to seal the fluid in?

Thanks...

edit... the more i think of it I think the switch just opens/closes the circuit so I think using teflon tape will allow everything to work...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Source for a Hydraulic Brake Light Switch with an Inverted Flare thread?

I used a male inverted flare to pipe adapter on mine.
Just find and adapter that has the male inverted flair thread on one side and the correct female pipe thread on the other.
It's been on there for over 20 years but I lost track of the Ford stop light switches I have changed. They work good but plan on changing one out every couple of years.

Like in the middle of the second row but the sizes there may be wrong. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...y=1&results=60
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Brake-...are,41745.html
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
You can use the one like Kabwe has shown in the T you've installed.. the switch you bought with the flat end goes in a T with inverted flare's on two ends and an open 1/8" pipe thread in the third end..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
mr48chev

I'd stay with the Stock Ford style switch and find the fittings to make it work. Reason being is that some time or other the switch will give out and if you have one that is only obtainable through Speedway or other specialty sources you are stuck and worse yet you may be stuck on the road with no brake lights. Certain things on a vehicle you plan to drive and possibly drive on road trips need to be readily available at any parts house and brake light switches are one of those things. If it is to be a show only truck that doesn't factor in though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote