The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
MKBreadfan

Chassis/Suspension Mods on a Budget

Got my 67 nearly down to the frame finally. I'm looking to do some fairly common mods/upgrades, but my main concern is my budget. I'm wanting to do gas tank behind axle, add disc brakes, and add power steering. As far as a drop goes, I'm wanting an old school rake, probably with stock height in rear and a 2'' drop in front.

My budget is about $1500. I know thats a tall order. After shopping around, I'm almost certain theres no way I'm going to accomplish my goals without going flat broke if I were to purchase all new parts from say ECE or CPP.

So inevitably I must turn to the good ol' local wrecking yard. In my part of TX there is an overabundance of Chevy trucks spending their final days in the boneyard, particularly the 73-87 models. I know that many of the suspension parts are swapable, and that tanks from either Suburbans or Blazers will work for our trucks, as will the PS pumps and gearboxes with some adapting

I'm sure that someone has done this before (and probably on a tighter budget) so I'm humbly asking for advice before heading out to the yard.
What parts do I need to pull for a disc brake conversion? Which parts are best bought new?

Which tanks are the best fit for the price?
MKBreadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Chassis/Suspension Mods on a Budget

WELCOME!!!
Read thru some of the suspension threads,you will find a ton of info on the disc swap.I would probably go with dropped spindles on a 73^ front crossmember with disc and power brakes.Try to get the whole set-up from one truck,including pulleys and brackets for the PS,though Water pump length may be different.This will change you to 5 lug front but you may be able to use the 6 lug rotors from a vendor or you can swap in a 5 lug rear from a 71-72.
The PS gearbox will work if you dimple the frame.Do a search on that and figure out how you want to do it.
A Blazer/burb/Panel tank will work on a long bed fairly easily but there are mods.It does hang down a bit,there are other options that work.Searching any of these topics will turn up lots of threads.Watch out on a used tank,most have condensate rust and crap in them and may cost more to refurbish than a new tank.The burb blazer tank kits are available from vendors(under $200 IIRC).Good luck and enjoy the build.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Front Sway Bar. $150
New Springs and shocks $400
flip the rear control arm mounts. $0
Later model a arms spindles and brakes $400 (estamate, junkyard parts, new brake parts)
Blazer tank $200
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
CC69Rat

A gas tank from a 69 Camaro will fit between the frame rails, just FYI. there's a writeup on this forum about it, I'll see if I can find it.

73+ front K member swap and rebuild. F44 (1.25 rotors) It's a big job, but fairly cheap to do it if you can find a donor truck.

5 lug rear end swap - just swap the whole thing.

Cut one turn off the front coils for 2.5" drop in the front while you put it all back together.

Jeep TJ (97-06) rear springs - ~ 4" rear drop BUT you won't be able to haul a whole lot.

You should be able to do it for $1500, no problem.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Buy a donor 73-88 truck, grab the parts you want, sell the engine trans any good parts, scrap the rest. I made money on my swap doing it this way.
Doing a 5 lug conversion cost a lot less when you buy a vehicle that already has wheels and tires.
I paid $600 for a running driving 1976 f44 373 12 bolt posi truck with a title.
Read the "make it handle" thread in the suspension forum!
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
BMERDOC

While you are rebuilding the old or swapping in the new front suspension consider doing the front caster mod to help the truck handle better. Heres the link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501241
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Pro Performance

Welcome to the forum!

I know you originally mentioned getting these parts from the wrecking yard, and there are some great suggestions above. Definitely can save some money going this route, which is understandable. Just wanted to post an option that we offer and might consider. This is in regards to the tank, disc brake & lowering portion.

Disc Brake Conversion with Drop Spindles (6x5.5): $819
Boyd Welding Aluminum Tank (Carb / Bed Fill): $349
Shipping: $175

That totals up to $1,345, which leaves the remaining amount ($156) for power steering conversion from the wrecking yard. I know not originally what you were asking for help on, but thought I would throw it out there.

Finding a donor truck is a good option to swapping over to newer 73-87 components.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

stay away from jeep springs..they dont work well for a truck (you can put a sprae tire in bed its on bumpstops)

sway bar new bushings

disc brake frontend

pb booster

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
While you are rebuilding the old or swapping in the new front suspension consider doing the front caster mod to help the truck handle better. Heres the link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501241
I was kinda hinting at this, a good agressive alignment will definetly help get you through the corners. If the guy just wants to be lower its not needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
MKBreadfan

Thanks, fellas. As always, the community on this board shines in comparison to other cess pits that call themselves auto forums on the web.

Pro Performance, now that I see your deal and considering that it would be all new parts backed with customer service, I may consider saving up and upping my budget.

Although brad_man_72's idea of making money on the swap is appetizing as well. That way I could buy a donor and pull and sell parts off of it at my leisure, as opposed to spending a day being rushed at the wrecking yard pulling parts.

Again thanks for the positive response and feedback.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
MKBreadfan

Found this Suburban listed locally:

http://abilene.craigslist.org/cto/3296587775.html

Figured it has just about all of the stuff I need. Will Burb tanks work in SWB frames? Also, has anyone put a set of Burb front buckets in one of our cabs?

I'll just feel bad about chopping up a running Chevy like that. It'd be different if it were wrecked or rusting in a yard, but to snuff out a running truck and relegate it to parts just seems shameful.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Purchased 73 stock spindles from an old brake place. Rotors, calipers, upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rods from Kragen (now Oreily) for 380.00
Purchased a front and rear lowering springs with sway bars from CPP for 450.
So yes it can be done.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKBreadfan View Post
Found this Suburban listed locally:

http://abilene.craigslist.org/cto/3296587775.html

Figured it has just about all of the stuff I need. Will Burb tanks work in SWB frames? Also, has anyone put a set of Burb front buckets in one of our cabs?

I'll just feel bad about chopping up a running Chevy like that. It'd be different if it were wrecked or rusting in a yard, but to snuff out a running truck and relegate it to parts just seems shameful.
I don't think that tank will work but the front crossmember.,engine,tranny,Ps,and Brakes will work.I'm not sure about the brackket o the booster.The Body parts should get back some of the cost.However,the engine rebuild may be questionable,the front suspension may need all new Ball joints,bushings,tie rod ends etc.So check it over very carefully if you decide to go this way.I just saying $900 seems really cheap for a truck like that in "good" condition.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote