The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
mdw

Advice needed, Knowledge requested please

Hi All,
Well, getting ready to dive into the 71, goals are to get a better performing, better mileage, and a new look family vehicle. In its current form it is a 71 1/2 ton with a 350/350 combo runs great with no issues. What I have done is I purchased a 89 pickup with a 350 and a 5 speed manual. My intentions are to couple the 2. I am looking for opinions on putting in the fuel injection system motor and all and replace what is in there now. I have also considered just swapping out trannys and making it a 5 speed to get the better mileage and the ability to tow it behind our motor home when traveling. I could go with an auto overdrive and find a shaft disconnect Any thoughts would be great and appreciated, THANKS!
mdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
GMCJOE

Re: Advice needed, Knowledge requested please

Either way you go you will get more fuel economy out of the truck. By doing just the transmission swap or doing both. To maximize it, putting the combination in would be the best way to go. That my opinion. Fuel injection is more reliable than a carburetor, and more economical. It's all about how much work you want to put into it. I say go for the full conversion. You will have to swap pedal setup's, not sure if you can use what is in the 89. But I am sure it has been done, or some one has used the period correct with modifications to use with that transmission. Good luck.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Tinkermc

Re: Advice needed, Knowledge requested please

If I was going to the trouble of 1 I'd do motoer-transmission, wiring harness and computers. If you do half the job you will do it twice
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote