The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
71swb4x4

Garage size, 3 stall with hoist, size limitations

I am building a garage at my house. This will be my only garage. Our city has size limitations, 900 square feet is the max. I want three stalls, with a lift in one of the stalls. I hope to go two stories, with the story above the lift open, and storage and work area above the other two stalls. The style of lift is open still, leaning toward 2 post, but 4 post is not out of the question.

I would like three of our vehicles in the garage, a Saturn sedan, 2005 Chevrolet K2500 extended cab long box, and a 2005 Chevy Express cargo van with a ladder rack on top. I am thinking maybe sneak the lift as far forward as comfortable in one of the stalls, and that stall the Saturn will park in. In the future the cargo van will probably move to a "work" shop; the future might mean 3 years, or it might mean 10 years. At that point the third stall would be for a fun vehicle such as a Blazer.

The 900 ft is killing me. I would like a 48 x 32 garage, but that isn't happening. It looks like a 36' x 24' is about the best I can do.

The pickup is 20.5' long.
The van is 7'9" tall with the ladder on it.

I am thinking 10' wide x 8' high garage doors. I would like to go higher on the door, but I don't want it to look like a commercial garage; I want it to blend into the neighborhood. The clearance is tight on the van, but I think in the effort of looking nice we will have to have that concession.

So what do you all think? Will 36' work with a lift? Will the 10x8 garage doors be OK? That sure doesn't leave much room between doors.
What style of lift would be best?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Garage size, 3 stall with hoist, size limitations

Have you looked into asking the city for a "variance" on garage size? Usually means have to ask local neighbors if larger size would be an irritant. Paper work is involved but a possibility. We also have a size limitation here in town, 1200 sq. ft. max. I was able to do a 35 x 50 (1750 sq.ft.) after talking to city building inspector and him knowing I have no really close neighbors. Live on a dead end street. Used to be a thru street but was closed years ago and now I kinda like it that way. Just something to think about as a possibility.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
71swb4x4

I plan to ask for a variance, but my chances are not great. I am in an older part of town, historic in many ways, and there is a lot of opposition to "non-conforming" variances. That's not to say it won't happen, but I want my ducks in a row in case it doesn't.
The garage plan will be drawn by an architect to match our house. My hope is that this will help me win some variance points with the neighbors, but I am certainly not taking it for granted.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
AntiGov

just tossing out ideas...could you attach a small single car garage to house for saturn and still have room for shop ? could you run a carport style roof shed off side of new shop for van ? maybee this would not count towards sq footage...your gonna need room for benches and cabinets.
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

want me to measure the stall depth at work?

I know what kind of hoist to get but they are about $6K. other wise I really like our new challenger 10,000 lb versymetric ($3500) but it still doesn't match the Mohawk system 1A
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
71swb4x4

We are up to 1000 ft now, but can't do a second floor. I hope for a variance on the second floor.
I am thinking 40ft x 24 ft. The extra 4 feet will go in the stall with the lift.
I can do a max of 12' sidewalls. If I can't get a variance for the second floor we will need rafters that give us some extra clearance for the lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
want me to measure the stall depth at work?

I know what kind of hoist to get but they are about $6K. other wise I really like our new challenger 10,000 lb versymetric ($3500) but it still doesn't match the Mohawk system 1A
Todd I am not close to purchasing a lift, have to have a place to put it first. Once I am I will have to come to Sioux Falls and take a look at what you have. I am willing to pay whatever it takes for a good, safe lift.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

More thoughts to ponder. When i was building the best size look to be a 38' x 26'deep with 10'walls and with three 10'x 8' over head doors. I lost on the three bay and had to go with a 26'x 26' with 10' walls. With the doors at 10' its a nice to go in and out. 26' deep will let a gm crew short box in with room to get between the bumper and o/h door and room to work and walk in front and 18" to 2'of cabinets on the end wall.
If i remove the end wall cabinets in the one bay i have room to get a four post in. The four post i looked at had the option of fix or moveably.
here is a pic
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Just a note: With my shop i lost 18" of inside floor space with the use of 2x6 walls front to back. Side to side is apx 14" of floor.