The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
Goldfinger

Re: What spare parts would you take on an 800 mile drive?

I second putting parts on before you go. Check everything over. If you've had one of these trucks long enough you can listen and tell whats right and whats wrong.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
riz

Get in and drive. You should be just as confident in your older truck as you are a new vehicle. To me there should be no difference. If your truck is well maintained and in good running condition you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. Just my opinion I guess. Why do some thing they need to bring half the garage on a long trip? Be positive and enjoy the ride.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
king-918

Triple A, money, water, and tools. Also "common cents" like cell, and blankets
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
mopar346

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Get in and drive. You should be just as confident in your older truck as you are a new vehicle. To me there should be no difference. If your truck is well maintained and in good running condition you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. Just my opinion I guess. Why do some thing they need to bring half the garage on a long trip? Be positive and enjoy the ride.

RIZ
Actually more confident in my older stock, I can fix them. Even a factory trained highly experienced tech is screwed in a new one if he doesn't breakdown with his $100,000 machine with him. Too much electronics to go bad.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post

RIZ
I agree. All we drive is old classic stuff, some more than 40 years old. I trust it much more than anything new we've had. Generally when a new car breaks down on the side of the road, you're calling a hook.

If I ever break down in my classic car, I'm pretty confident I can fix it on the side of the road, it only needs fuel and spark to run.

If I have anything questionable, I might carry an extra set of points and plugs, maybe a fuel pump, but nothing extreme. I've criss crossed the country several times in this old stuff, never once did I have a single issue.

Just get out there and enjoy the scenery and don't worry about it. 800 miles is nothing. My wife is putting more than that on her car every week.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
canadian 4x4

i just took a road trip to california in my 01 buick put 6000 miles on it in two weeks. brought booster cables a spare and cash
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #32
86c20

in the middle of a 1000 mile trip and all i got is my phone. parts before to put on yes. always. but if you are good a bout rutine stuff you should be fine. bring water and oil spare and a tool kit. the tool kit i keep in my truck at all times as i am the one that fixes everything so i allways have tools. i like to just clear my mind and drive
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Cell phone, Platnium AmEx and a stack of cash always gets me there.
I was gonna say cell phone and a "AAA" card.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #34
stock75

Well I stopped in nor cal on my way to visit my grandma, and the tranny started acting up again,with less than 1,000 miles on a new filter, fluid, rear main seal and modular i figure rather than dumping more money into fixing one thing at a time its time for a full rebuild . So as it sits now I just barely finished pulling the tranny, found a shop in Reno, Nv by the name of valley transmission that is gonna do a full rebuild for 700, called a couple shops in town and this seems about ballpark range, yelped and angioe listed the shop, seems to have a great reputation. Dropping it off tomorrow and should ghave it back by Wednesday, ill keep you guys updated.
stock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
Firebirdjones

Just noticed you live in Truckee??

I have family in Reno and Sac. You're right smack in the middle Guess you enjoy all that snow you get up there in Truckee? Beautifull scenery.

Sorry to hear about the trans, unfortunately you can't pack one of those with you All the little things to worry about and you have a major mechanical failure. Can't plan for those. Hope it works out for you.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
stock75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Just noticed you live in Truckee??

I have family in Reno and Sac. You're right smack in the middle Guess you enjoy all that snow you get up there in Truckee? Beautifull scenery.

Sorry to hear about the trans, unfortunately you can't pack one of those with you All the little things to worry about and you have a major mechanical failure. Can't plan for those. Hope it works out for you.
Yup been in Nor Cal all my life, actually packing up and moving to chico when I get back from this trip. I was just lucky my tranny started acting up where it did rather than the middle of nowhere nevada. Once the tranny gets rebuilt this truck will be ready to go! Drive her cross country if I need to.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #37
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock75 View Post
Yup been in Nor Cal all my life, actually packing up and moving to chico when I get back from this trip. I was just lucky my tranny started acting up where it did rather than the middle of nowhere nevada. Once the tranny gets rebuilt this truck will be ready to go! Drive her cross country if I need to.
Sounds like a plan. My wifes family has lived in Sac since the 1930's, changed alot since then though Hardly any rice fields left.

I've been through Chico (north of Sac) on my way to the redwoods. Nice areas up there.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
mickeykreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
Thats why i recommended he put his replacement parts on before he leaves. instead of on the side of the interstate.
I might be a little biased though since I have never owned a late model vehicle. I have been driving old stuff for 25 years.
I think a lot of people get nervous about driving more than a few hundered miles in a 30 year old car. even though they know like there own child. But it's perfectly normal to get in a 30 year old airplane that you know nothing about and fly thousands of miles.
just remeber, when you are in the middle of nowhere 90% of the noises you hear are in your head.
tires and overheating are your most common problems especially if it's hot out.
x2
'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
boatpuller

I read one time that the number 1 cause of hiway breakdown's was cooling system failures. I'd check radiator,hose's and belt's too. And the tool's, water,duct tape and all size's of zip ties. Zip ties have saved the day for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #40
stock75

Well got the transmission back from the shop this morning, then put it in this afternoon, so far so good ive put about 30 miles on it and it is running great! Off to Utah on friday.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #41
wklink

It doesn't matter. It always seems that what I take is not what breaks.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #42
johnsrob

Good luck on your trip thinking about doing the same thing myself next month San diego, Ca to Martinez, Ca. I am in the Bay Area also. Not really sure of your set-up serpentine or v-belt, but I highly suggest take a set belts just a case they jump. Ignition module if you have hei (should be 4-pin) they are cheap just if the truck doesn't want to start on you. You will be fine with this set (Craftsman24 pc. 6 pt. Standard Easy Read 3/8 in. Dr. Socket Wrench Set $59.49) that will be plenty fits right behind the seat. (Craftsman12 pc. Standard 12 pt. Combination Wrench Set $25.49) that will take care of your tools. Extra water for you and the truck lol. little 5 gal gas can just in case. Piece of carboard if you have to get under the truck. You should be good though as long the truck is ready to roll.
johnsrob is offline   Reply With Quote