The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
bnoon

passenger's side tank

A previous owner removed the passenger's side gas tank and I'd like to have dual tanks on my '86 carbed 305 LWB. Any hints/tips on whether to go used or buy new? Are there larger capacity tanks that would be worth while or possibly updated tanks from newer trucks to swap in place?

BTW, what is the capacity of the drivers and passenger side tanks? Are they the same? I see some 16 gallon ones on ebay, are those stock replacement? I think the most I've put in the driver's side tank is a touch over 10 gallons because I'm still not sure of how far to trust the gauge.

EDIT: Just saw a 20 gallon one on Ebay. Is that the one for my LWB 2WD?
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: passenger's side tank

A long wheel base would have the 20 gallon tanks from the factory. You could use the smaller shorter 16 gallon tank if wanted/needed, but I'd go the extra capacity if doing anything at all. The difference is how far towards the back of the truck they run, but either size will run just as far forward towards the engine.

Pros/Cons in my opinion of the new/used debate:

A used tank may be cheaper, but, you risk it having scale inside.

Due to regulations it is very hard and most any seller is not going to ship a used gas tank which means mostly local sourcing. A new tank you can comparison shop and get it anywhere. Not affiliated with me, but there was a NOS gm tank on ebay but it is local pickup only and too far from me in GA that I didn't look any further into it. Was $100 and may still be there, but they refuse to ship it.

A used tank will likely come with a sending unit attached, however, this may have corrosion and some brittle metal where the metal portion of the lines exit the tank so it may be a wash. A used tank will also afford a chance to get used certain pieces for the filler neck, I'd use the metal ones and buy new rubber during the install if you went that route.

If you go new you could spring for the 1987 tank, or 1988-1991 R/V series (the hold over of the square body for heavy duty trucks) which will have baffles inside in case you ever decide to go with a fuel injection setup by using TBI or swapping in a modern engine. Dimensionally it will be the same, just have the plastic baffles to avoid sloshing. Not a bad thing to do IMO since it increases future options for the truck.

You ask about other options: a suburban tank will have larger capacity and can mount inside the frame rails, and came in a couple sizes up to 40 gallons> However, modifying to the inside the frame rail tank also means losing the factory spare mount location. I wouldn't read anythign into the old myth of exploding saddle tanks, safety-wise I dont think you have anything to worry about that requires to change location... just a question of capacity and ease of install without having to source as many parts.

If I was doing it I'd go new 20 gallon tank for FI truck with the baffles.

Last edited by 79 silverado; 09-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
wyattglock

I bought 2 fi tanks for my 1989 R3500 off of Ebay for a combined total of $198. That was free shipping. I don't remember the guys id that I bought off of, but I can look it up and see if he has any more. The tanks were brand new and had a metal pan in the bottom of the tank for the baffle. I have had very good luck with the seller and the tanks. I will pm you when I get the info.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
bnoon

Thanks for the information guys. I'll save that PM you sent me wyattglock, that guy does have some really good stuff. I may just buy two new tanks at those prices and know that I don't have any rust issues and have baffles for the Fast EasyEFI kit I've been keeping my eye on.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
wyattglock

Once again, no problem! The tanks he sent me were just as he had described them. If you go that route, I think you will be happy. It is also good to plan for the efi setup if you are wanting to go that route. One thing to think about, if you are carb'ed now, keep the same sending units and put an external pump in line. Then if you have a fuel pump issue, you don't have to drop the tanks to fix it. If I hadn't already sunk the money into new AC Delco in tank pumps, that is what I would have done.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

LWB trucks could have 16 gallon or 20 gallon tanks in them, both were options. My 87 LWB has twin 16's under her.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote