The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
mopar346

I may have an answer to my rim hub center issue.

I picked up a set of 16 inch rims for the rear of my dually after I first got it for obvious reasons. The day a took the flatbed off I developed a harsh vibration, well it turns out the rims I picked up were from a later model and had a 4.85 center and my hubs were 4.55. Well I have been trying in vain to find the right rims in 16 but have had no luck. I have been thinking the last couple of days about building a spacer to center the rims properly. Well this morning it hit me, I could use a PVC couple to build it. I went the hardware store and a coupler for a 4 inch pipe is 4.5 inner diameter and 5.05 outer. Close enough to work with. When I got it home since I am less than patient I figured out how to use the hub as a make shift lathe to spin the coupler. I used my high speed sander/grinder to cut down the outside and a file to get it smooth. I got the outer measurement just about right where it would forcibly slide through the hole in the rim. I then used my cylinder hone to cut the inside slightly to slide onto the hub easily. Well it fit so tight that once I bolted it down I had to use a big puller to get it off, so I guess a little more file work is in order. I will then have to cut it so the band is the same width as 2 rims, that will allow the original outside plate to sandwich it in.

Tomorrow I am gonna get some more tires mounted on the rims and see how it runs out. I cant see why it wont work. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. What haven't I thought of?

If it works as designed I may consider having them made out of steel.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
chebyshortbox65

Re: I may have an answer to my rim hub center issue.

It will work class 8 trucks went from budd to hub pilot wheels and the later style has this same issue they make a tool that centers the wheel after you tighten the lugnuts you remove the installer
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
mopar346

Here is the spacer. The first picture is to show the spacer, it's a 1/2 wide. The second is it seated against the hub.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
mopar346

With the rim in place, the first fitting was a little tight on the passenger's side but it did create a good line to mill to. The reason it tightend up is there is 2 small ridges at the base of the hub right at the drum which caused the spacer to stretch when I tapped it in place. Had a time getting the rim back off, finally used a puller. I milled a little more and it took a couple of fittings cause I didn't want to cut too much away. I fear is having to take it off side the road. The last picture shows that the outer collar holds the spacer in place. I short drive last night up to about 75 felt like it worked as designed. Anyway hope this helps others.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Desert1957

FYI , There is a company that makes steel "Hub Rings" to adapt any Dually wheels to any hub, here is a link...

http://www.prestigewheel.com/RetailH...sSUVdually.asp

Here is some wheel info with specs for future reference

76-2000 Hub Bore is 4.56 / wheels are 8 X 6.0*
01-2007 Hub Bore is 4.60 / wheels are 8 X 6.5*

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote