The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
stockgp

couple transmission swap questions (t5)

first, the truck is a lwb 76 with a 350/350.

due to extenuating circumstances, it has to be pushed into duty as my daily driver. i drive 75 miles 5 days a week for work, so i'd like to keep my fuel costs down as low as possible.

i've considered throwing in a 700r4 for the overdrive. what i'd like to know first is how difficult it'd be to just swap in a t5 from a 4.3 s10. this is mostly personal preference, as i'd love to have this truck with a clutch eventually.

i'll need ot know i if can use a 73-87 clutch and brake pedal assembly, what clutch linkage i'll need (mabe s10 will work?), if the driveshaft will need to be altered, if the transmission cross member needs to be altered and what to do about the trans tunnel.

i've tried searching. i always get 3-4 pages of results and nothing that pertains to what i'm asking.

thanks in advance, gentlemen

Last edited by stockgp; 09-12-2012 at 02:22 AM.
stockgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
frog210

Re: couple transmission swap questions (t5)

Ive been told that the 700r4 is the easiest to install, if your gonna be going thru alot of highway then the 700r4 is gonna be the best bet with the overdrive, and no major modifications
you could probably get the s10 tranny to work, but you will probably need to modify your driveshaft, maybe use the s10 cross member, different linkage etc..
700r4 are also cheaper

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Try here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
legendman

If your going to go with a T5 I would get one from a Camaro or Firebird, seems like a lot of work to make one out of an s-10 work.
Should be able to find someone parting out a mid eighties F-body(Camaro/ Firebird).
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
1774btcrew

As far as the T5 from a camaro or firebird goes I do agree that they would be ideal. But if you want one from a V8 car they are pretty expensive at least around here. Seems most Trans Ams and Z28/IROCZs had automatics. A V8 T5 sells for $600-650 in the Phoenix area and they sell fast at that price. 700r4s are a dime a dozen.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
stockgp

excellent info so far, gentlemen. thank you.

as far as price tag goes, it's not a huge concern. the difference between a t5 and a 700r4 around here isn't much
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
mopar346

Here is a few things I learned about a T-5 swap into my son's 69 Camaro. You want to get a late model 88 and later I think World Class t-5, they came in Camaros and S-10s. The V-6 and the V-8 Camaros had the same t-5 with the same ratios. The S-10 ratios are different and better suited for a truck. The Camaro case is built on a 5 or 7 slant at the bell housing and the shifter is at a 18* slant but can be reversed in the housing to make it tint to the driver. Either one will fit an early bellhousing so the early clutch linkage can be used. The clutch should be used from the model you get it from due to the spline count on the input shaft. If it is too wimpy (S-10 10 inch) have a custom clutch built with the right spline hub (really not expensive, hardest part is finding a good old fashion clutch builder - I still got a guy in town). Your crossmember can probalby be modified slightly to work or you can build a custom one with little effort or expense. With the old bell housing you get a manual clutch , if you use a newer V-8 or 4.3 bellhousing you can get a hydraulic set up with an aftermarket master mount and rod. There are a number of upgrades that can be done to a t-5 to make it strong enough to hold 450 or so ft pound of torque with out going broke. One of the advantages is everything on WC t-5s swap with other WC t-5s, gear sets, tailhousings, etc. One of the challanges you will face is the speedo hook up but there are inexpensive ways to make it work. My brother has oen in a 36 Chevy truck with an S-10 case, a Camaro gear set, early bellhousing and manual linkage. Hear are a few threads I used when learning, extremely comprehensive info. Do some reading and do your homework and it is doable.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=4203

Good luck, let us know what you do and post a thread on the swap for others.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
stockgp

some more great info, thank you. i know there are a couple t5 equipped camaros in my local yard. one is a 93+ body style wiht fairly low miles. i'm going to go check itout this weekend.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
weaintscared

Smile Re: couple transmission swap questions (t5)

I'm going to run a T56 6 speed behind my BBC
weaintscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
stockgp

i'd love to have one, but that's out of my budget for a while.

i have a ton of rust to fix before i worry about that.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
weaintscared

Thumbs up Re: couple transmission swap questions (t5)

I paid $ 1500 for the one I got with the pedals & clutch the hole setup
weaintscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
wraprail

I put a world class T5 in my 74 C10 about 10 years ago and have logged over 60,000 miles on it. Great transmission. Heres the deal,
You need a T5 from a V8 Camaro/Firebird. Mine came out of a 1990 Fbody. I used the bellhousing from the Camaro as well. This will mount the trans at a 17 degree angle but its not a problem. The trans mount is about 3 inchs further back than a turbo 350 so I just slid my crossmember back and drilled new holes in the frame to mount it. You can use the camaro slave cylinder and a clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly from a 87 C10. Use the camaro clutch/pressure plate and flywheel. Hope that your crank is machined for a pilot bearing. (some are not)
For the shifter I used the mounting plate from the camaro shifter and the guts from a ford mustang T5. This gave me a shorter throw and the mustang handle/stick is a bolt on the same as a Hurst so I used a 17 inch Hurst handle and bent it to make up for the 17 degree mounting angle of the trans. This put the handle perfectly straight through the floor in the same spot as the muncie 4-speed I had before.
Same driveshaft yoke as a turbo 350/muncie but had to shorten the driveshaft about 3 inchs.
As far as the S10 V6 T5, It has a different input spline (14 spline IIRC) and uses a 10 inch clutch which wont work with a 350 V8. I think advanced adapters makes a clutch assembly to swap a V8 in a S10 but it is pricey. Also the S10 T5 has a very low first gear and is not well suited for V8 use. The camaro trans is ideal and plenty strong as long as you don't drag race it.
Don't put gear oil in it (they use ATF) and it will last many years. Mine already had 90,000 miles on it when I pulled it and I added over 60,000 and it still works great.
Thats about all I can think of. Hope this helps.
Good luck!!
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockgp View Post
some more great info, thank you. i know there are a couple t5 equipped camaros in my local yard. one is a 93+ body style wiht fairly low miles. i'm going to go check itout this weekend.
Don't use a 4th gen Camaro T5, those had the ford style case and won't bolt onto a standard Chevy bell. Find a 3rd gen V8 T5, best gearing.

http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-...dentifying.htm

Also if you find a T5 by itself, you can run the tag no to id it at this site : http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html

I have 2 V8 T5's, bought them for 80 each. I got lucky on those deals.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
TwinTurbo

There is no 4th gen camaro T5, the LT1s & LS1s all came with a T56

A LT1 T56 is bolt on to a SBC if you have the bellhousing, slave cyl. and spacer for the slave.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote