The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
arturo7

Original Wheels?

Anyone have a set of original, or original style wheels are willing to part with? 16" would be great, but 15s would work as well.

Thanks

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
arturo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Original Wheels?

5, 6 or 8 lug? Stamped steel or rally? Hub cap clips or snap over? there are a bunch on boise CL but shipping would kill you.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
arturo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
5, 6 or 8 lug? Stamped steel or rally? Hub cap clips or snap over? there are a bunch on boise CL but shipping would kill you.
uuuhh...

Never knew there were so many choices. The only one I can answer is 6 lug.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
1project2many

Mine are from a horse trailer. Except for my spare which is original type. The original wheels were not designed for tubless tires and they had internal clips for the hubcaps. Tubeless tires will install on the original wheels and often they'll seal ok but there's a missing feature designed to prevent the bead from unseating if the tire pressure is extremely low.

If you have any trailer dealers in your area they might be willing to sell you used wheels for short $$.
1project2many is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
OrrieG

I also found in my search for hubcaps for my stock 74 16" wheels that the diameter of the hub cap snap point varies. You need to decide if that is going to be a factor (what caps, if any you want to run). Earlier wheels are also narrower affecting the tire size you can run. When you look at trailer wheels check the weight rating, some may fit but are only rated for light weight trailers.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
mouseattack406

Thumbs up Re: Original Wheels?

Not original,but summit racing carries a nice set of ralley wheels made by wheel vintiques that are made like the original ralleys.I got a set of 12"x15" and a set of 6"x15" you can get any size you want made to your order and the price is real hard to beat,I use summit's brand rings and caps half the price of anybody else and free shipping.I got the spinner caps and they are steel not plastic,ole yea did i mention the part about free shipping lol,good luck in your searches
mouseattack406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
1project2many

Quote:
I also found in my search for hubcaps for my stock 74 16" wheels that the diameter of the hub cap snap point varies.
Yes, it certainly does! I have played games with hubcaps for years. Out here, cheap imported versions rust within a year or two no matter what brand name they carry. I decided I was going to find a set of stainless caps if it killed me. I ended up with a set from Phoenix that are marketed as a 9" cap but fit on my wheels (which measure over 10" at the "nubs"), and supposedly on stock '70s GM truck wheels as well. But that's an adventure for another day.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
arturo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
The original wheels were not designed for tubless tires and they had internal clips for the hubcaps. Tubeless tires will install on the original wheels and often they'll seal ok but there's a missing feature designed to prevent the bead from unseating if the tire pressure is extremely low.

Thanks 1p2m, that is a significant bit of information.

Last edited by arturo7; 10-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
arturo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I also found in my search for hubcaps for my stock 74 16" wheels that the diameter of the hub cap snap point varies. You need to decide if that is going to be a factor (what caps, if any you want to run). Earlier wheels are also narrower affecting the tire size you can run. When you look at trailer wheels check the weight rating, some may fit but are only rated for light weight trailers.

What rim width would be best if I use a 30 or 32" tire?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Rude Dude

Some of the later chevy rims fit they made six lug wheels to 70 or 71. Toyota has six lug on there trucks also weather they fit I am not sure.

Last edited by Rude Dude; 10-02-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
arturo7

Man, it seems like every detail I look into ends up being a rabbit hole...

I should be looking for 15 or 16" on 5.5, 8" wide, with a 4" offset?

Yes? No? Go fish?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
1project2many

Rim width and tire size go hand in hand. Wider tires need wider rims. Most tire manufacturers and many online sources will include a rim width range for a particular size tire.

15" wheels used to be more common than 16" and back then 16" wheels generally received truck type tires. Nowadays there are many light duty pickups and crossover SUV's running 16" and larger wheels so tire choices are greater. But most of the tires are much wider than the original size. An original size tire might be a 205 or 215/60 R 16
(more to follow)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Gator Alum

Arturo, I feel your pain. I just dropped off some wheels to get new 215/75/15 tires. Turns out the spare rim that came with the truck was really 16 *DOH!* and another rim is bent, and I haven't even taken the back two wheels in yet... looks like I'm on the same search you are. Maybe I'll try the aftermarket route and get some new wheels that look original. All I need to do is find 6 lug, maybe they could even fit disc brakes...
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
OrrieG

I dug up some research I did on tire/wheel sizes many moons ago.

Original base 6.70 x 15 6.9" wide x 27" dia 15 x 5 wheel
Original option 6.50 x 16 7" wide x 27.4" dia 16 x 5 wheel

Modern sizes to match original

175 x 85 x 16 6.8" wide x 27.71 dia
185 x 85 x 16 7.28" wide x 28.38 dia

175 x 85 x 15 6.89" wide x 26.71 dia
185 x 85 x 16 7.28" wide x 27.38 dia

To run wider tires you would need to get newer wheel, stock or aftermarket. 73 and newer will work with disc brakes because the trucks came with them. For reference (see avator photo) I run 225 x 75 x 16. Tire is 8"" wide x 29.29" diameter and is tucked under the fenders using the 74 axles. Any wider tires and you start throwing mud and rocks up on the body. You can get aftermarket steel rims that are designed to look stock but will accomodate disc brakes.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Gator Alum

OrrieG- Know where I could get the aftermarket steel rims that are designed to look stock and accommodate disc brakes?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
OrrieG

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/O-E-St...nch,54993.html

They have the trim rings and caps too. They are not cheap (in my budget world).
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Gator Alum

Unfortunate those only come in 5 lug as far as I've found...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
1project2many

wheel / tire edumacation continued:

225/75 tires are about the widest you want to install on an original width wheel. That's the size I'm running. Tire sizes tell you tread width then sidewall height as a percentage of tread width (AKA aspect ratio). Low profile tires are typically /20 /30 /40 while truck tires typically start at /70 and go up. Although a higher aspect ratio seems to indicate a taller tire it's important to be able to check. For example, the original size equivalents above (185/85) have a tread width of 185mm and a sidewall height of 157.25mm while the 225/75 tire has a tread of 225mm and a sidewall height of 168.75mm. Because the treadwidth is greater, the lower aspect ratio tire is taller. This can matter because contrary to simple logic, larger tires are not always more expensive. More common sizes offered by more manufacturers are typically priced better. A 225/75 16 tire is much more common than the 185/85 16.

Tires using traditional sizing (31's, 32's, etc) are different. I have much less experience with these and would resort to manufacturer's info to find acceptable wheel width for mounting.

Often it is possible to mount a too wide tire on a narrower wheel. When this is done the tread area of the tire inflates round instead of flat. Some people are comfortable altering tire pressure to try and correct this but tire, wheel, and vehicle makers all say "No." for some very valid reasons.

Wheel width and wheel offset (or backspacing) serve to position the tire under the vehicle. The considerations when looking at these dimensions are (1) will a change cause a tire to rub, and (2) will a change cause the tire to protrude outside the vehicle. The 55-59 trucks have large fenders that are very open and there's a lot of room underneath for tires. With stock axles, if you're going to use wider wheels you want to look for increased backspacing to help keep the outer edge of the tire under the fenders. Most of the stock steel Chevy truck wheels I've seen up until the late '80s will fit under the fender ok. In the late '80s GM started using huge offsets with wide wheels and those don't fit our trucks correctly.

Older Toyota 4X4 and Chevrolet 4X4 share a bolt pattern with our trucks but the wheel centers can be different diameter. Aftermarket wheels are often made to fit both vehicles and I've even swapped some stock wheels between brands. Stock '90s Toyota wheels don't look like original Chevrolet wheels and have no provision for the small center mounted hubcap that Chevrolet used for years. You could probably get a Moon disc or another cap that looks vintage though. Most OEM six lug steel Toy wheels are 15".

Yes, when you're on a budget this stuff can become stupidly complicated. The easy answer is break out the wallet and call a company that makes wheels to place the order. The budget method is to understand your options and keep on the lookout for deals. I rebuilt my truck when I lived in eastern MT and there are plenty of trailers around that area which is why I used those wheels. Starting in the late '70s Chevrolet dual wheel trucks use 225/75 R16 tires and there are plenty of old Chevy dually trucks in MT as well. Something has to haul the trailer while the Ford's down. But that's why I chose the tires I used. Unless you're able to buy new, you've got to watch for opportunities with these old rigs.

IMO this looks like the buy here pay here answer.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...r/AM20758.html
You should confirm the pilot diameter before ordering by measuring OD of hub or ID of center of brake drum.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
arturo7

My head just exploded. Fortunately I was able to find most of the pieces for reassembly.

So I guess the only way to determine which wheels will allow 30" tires under my truck is by trial and error. Guess I'd better find a local wheel supplier. I don't think the guys at the swap meet take returns...

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
1project2many

Quote:
My head just exploded.
Sorry. And that's just the basics.

Quote:
So I guess the only way to determine which wheels will allow 30" tires under my truck is by trial and error.
Is there a specific reason you're looking for a standard sized tire? A specific tread design? Specific tire brand? AFAIK 30" sized tires (30 X 9.50) are only available for a 15" wheel so that should narrow things down considerably. If you're simply looking for a tire with a diameter close to original use this reference page to select a more common metric size. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=53

(Hint: A 225/75 R16 is the same diameter as a 30 X 9.50 R15 )

Last edited by 1project2many; 10-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
OrrieG

A good cheap way to check clearance is to cut out a 30" dia cardbord "wheel" and mount it. Measure to the nearest body parts. Keep in mind back will move up and down and a little sideways (arc from side to side) and front will do the same and turn full lock both ways. I did that when I was shopping sizes for my Chevelle. Mounting the template on the brake drum it is a zero offset. you can calculate the offset you need to center the tire and compare it to stock offset wheels. Even doing that with my Chevelle I found I need to downsize because with the car loaded with people or stuff the tires flexed enough to rub on driveways and around tight corners.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
arturo7

Not sure what is meant by "standard sized tire." I would just like to have a larger diameter to keep the motor RPMs down on the highway. I'm using the term "30 inches" as a general description. It is not my intent to specify a particular tire or type of tire.

Also, your earlier post has dissuaded me from going with original wheels.

Knowing what I know now, I guess the thread title should be changed to, "What are the specifications of a wheel that would allow me to fit a tire with an approximate diameter of 30" under my vehicle?"

Can I assume that these wheels http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...r/AM20758.html fit that description? If so, my question is answered as the specs are listed.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #23
1project2many

Most tires sold for passenger cars and light trucks today are metric sized tires such as "225/75R16."

Standard sized tires are typically for off road equipment although some light truck tires are manufactured in standard sizes.

In typical "tire talk" a "30, 31, or 32" refers to a tire with a standard size such as "30 X 9.50" or "31 X 10.50." If you show up at a tire shop and ask what's available in a 30" tire chances are they'll show you to the offroad or all terrain tires sized as "30 X 9.50." The chart I linked to lists the common metric sizes that are roughly 30" diameter. you could use that chart to write down the sizes of tires you're interested in then see what's available and affordable in those sizes.

As long as the center of the wheel fits over the hub of the truck, those wheels should work with a 225/75R16. That would give you a 29 1/2" tall tire which isn't too wide. The tire chart shows other sizes closer to 30" tall but they are also much wider which uses more fuel. 225/75R16 is an extremely common size and you should be able to find plenty of tires ranging from no-name to top of the line. Just be sure to measure that hub before ordering wheels.