The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
HalfTon

I think my truck is cursed

Im starting to wonder if my truck is cursed. Ill start from the begining here, my truck was orginally no power steering or no power brakes from the factory. The previous owner converted it to power steering. I dont know what chevy truck this power steering set up is from but it works good and serves its purpose, but there is a catch to this story. Once a month, one of the two bolts that are mounted to the engine will randomly decide to break off inside the block. Im really am not joking, this happens every month since May. I figured it was just me tightening the bolts to much, that wasnt the problem. So i tried stronger bolts, this power steering bracket is breaking grade 8 bolts like their tooth picks! Every time a bolt breaks it gets more challenging to get it back out. I really am considering to going back to a manual steering box. This truck is my daily driver and I need this thing to be as reliable as possible. This power steering has let me down multiple times and worst of all, it left me on the side of the road while trying to make it to the hot rod power tour when it was in st.louis. How much harder is it to drive with a manual steering box? Im not a wimp by any means but Im also dont have arms of popeye the sailor. Do these trucks have to be man handled to steer them without power steering? What do you guys think I should do, try to find a original factory PS setup or just go with the manual steering?

69' custom/10 longbed.

1999 1500 4x4 5 speed
HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Re: I think my truck is cursed

I drove my 67 forever with manual steering. it's definitely harder, but it's not impossible by any means. proper tire pressure and higher speeds make turning that much easier. With that being said, I am definitely converting mine to p/s at some point.

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
SeeTen

Manual steering is the BEST!

I'm on a most likely original steering box, shaft and suspension (blown out, everything looks like it needs replacing) and I have no trouble at all when I'm at proper tire pressure.

Sure, you're going to be swinging your arms in more circles to make the same turn as you would in your power steering rig, but it's really not much more difficult at all (even at a standstill).

But I cannot stress enough - tire pressure is KEY! I thought my gear box was blown out when I first got my truck. Then I visited the gas station, put in 15PSI and I was laughing all the way home.

Oh, and steering wheel size wouldn't hurt either. If you're rocking one of those aftermarket 13"-15" deals, you may find yourself considering investing in an old bus type steering wheel. I did, and it works great (cracking and all!)

Oh - and when it's running, I use it as my daily driver too.
SeeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Square_78

Well if the bracket is breaking off grade 8 bolts then you obviously have another problem in that area. SOmething must be loose or bent or broken to cause the pump to move/flex enough to break off the bolts. I dont think its cursed. You just need to poke around and figure out why its happening.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Rob H.

A picture of your pump set up would help, sounds like you are missing a brace maybe, causing undo stress on the bolts holding the pump on. My 72 was manual steering and brakes from the factory, I'm currently adding power to it. I use my truck for my daily driver and work truck when it's running. I tow with it a good bit and manuvering my trailer around with manual steering is quite a workout! But for normal driving, the manual wasn't too bad, except on really curvy roads.
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I agree. Show us pictures so we can see what you have and figure this out. BTW,you're truck isn't cursed. It just needs to be fixed properly. Manual steering is great. The only time you'll miss power steering is parking...turning wheel while sitting still. But,anyone who isn't anemic can turn the wheel. Last I heard a little physical activity does a body good

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
HalfTon

Here is a pic of last nights break and a pic of the pump. I noticed on a factory PS set up that there is a brace the bolts to the engine mount. I dont have that brace, mine just gets bolted down using the two holes on the block. This time, I really dont know if I will be able to get this dang bolt out. I had a nicely drilled hole last night but when I started tapping the extractor bit out the bit broke of inside the hole I drilled in the bolt.
Attached Images

69' custom/10 longbed.

1999 1500 4x4 5 speed
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
midniteblues

with nothing supporting the far back side of that pump the tension/vibration from the belt will keep braking them bolts
It really shouldnt be too hard too fab a bracket that attaches to the engine mount.
I've seen a pic somewhere on this board where a fellow used a craftsman wrench for the bracket.

how bout a wtb thread on the parts board
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
GMCJOE

I agree. If you don't have that support bracket, it will definitely cause undo stress on the bolt and continue to break it off. If you want to get a new power steering bracket, this one is a good choice. Seen it on another thread. Has all the hardware and brackets you need.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-802400/

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
vectorit
What?

My burb has manual steering, and I have 33x12.50 tires on it.
I actually enjoy the manual set up more so than the power steering on my '70 PU with the same size tires.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
3/4ton72heavychevy

My 72 c20 has manual steering and I dont have too big of a problem with it, but just curious, what is correct tire pressure to make turning the easiest?
3/4ton72heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
john
member #16

Was there a bolt in the upper hole? Can't tell from pic.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Square_78

I like that trick using the double box end wrench and bending it into a bracket. I had the picture saved and i just found it. It was an alternator bracket, but this gives you an idea of what he did.

(not my pic)
Attached Images

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
Coley

Smile Re: I think my truck is cursed

Ok, I'm 95% sure what you have is a material (bolt) fatigue problem due to vibration. This event will fail just about anything that is trying to hold it....unless its rubber. This is why vibration control in equipment is its own special field of expertise.
So you need to make sure all the brackets the guys already mentioned are in place....or a sturdy equivalent. Then you have to check and make sure the power steering pulley is not wildly out of flatness as it runs.
Then, if you have a buddy who has an equivalent truck or set up, check to see how theirs runs and vibrates...watch carefully. Then use that as the datum point for determining if your own is now operating within normal parameters.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Coley

Smile Re: I think my truck is cursed

Ok, I'm 95% sure what you have is a material (bolt) fatigue problem due to vibration. This event will fail just about anything that is trying to hold it....unless its rubber. This is why vibration control in equipment is its own special field of expertise.
So you need to make sure all the brackets the guys already mentioned are in place....or a sturdy equivalent. Then you have to check and make sure the power steering pulley is not wildly out of flatness as it runs.
Then, if you have a buddy who has an equivalent truck or set up, check to see how theirs runs and vibrates (minimally)...watch carefully. Then use that as the datum point for determining if your own is now operating within normal parameters.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Coley

OOOPs, sorry for the double post....bit of a computer glitch here....hmmm.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
with nothing supporting the far back side of that pump the tension/vibration from the belt will keep braking them bolts
It really shouldnt be too hard too fab a bracket that attaches to the engine mount.
This ^^^

100%...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
HalfTon

Well here is an update to the story. Today i bought a manual steering box and it turns out it was the wrong one, I have no idea what car or truck this thing goes to but it certainly doesn't go to a 67-72. It seemed OK when i bought it but when i got home i was looking at the lmc magazine and saw that the steering boxes looked different than the one I had. So now I really need to find a manual steering box and pitman arm ASAP because this is my daily driver and I rely on this thing to get me to school and work 6 days of the week
Posted via Mobile Device

69' custom/10 longbed.

1999 1500 4x4 5 speed

Last edited by HalfTon; 10-04-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
pdawg

I know exactly what bracket you are missing cuz I'm fighting to get that motor mount bolt in with the engine in place ( didn't have it blasted and repaired before I put the new motor in - wont make that mistake again!) I'd try and sorce the bracket from the wreckers and try and extract that bolt with a quality extractor. Only buy the good ones for taps & extractors to save yourself lots of grief. Can send you a pic of the bracket if you need it.
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #19
firedog

i have had good luck with my serpentine setup off of a 4.3 v6, you can pick the whole setup from pick and pull or speedway fairly cheap, make sure you get the waterpump alternator, and power steering pump, that is after a fight with bolt that needs to be taken out.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE