The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Ricks1971

best am/fm radios?

Guys I am looking to get a aftermarket am/fm radio. I would like it to have a usb plug for xm radio. don't really need a cd or cassette player. Looking for the best soundiing radio any help will be great. thanks Rick
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: best am/fm radios?

A price range would be helpfull. As well as what other components you will be using. What will you be doing with your stereo (casual listening, jamming out, sql/db contests) what are your expectations? What kind of music do you listen to?
The effort you put into prepping your truck and placing your speakers has far more to do with sound quality than the difference between 2 different high quality head units.
You could throw $5000 of audio equipment into a stock cab and have it sound worse than a nicely prepped cab full of wal-mart junk.
Posted via Mobile Device
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
MidLifer

Re: best am/fm radios?

I agree with brad_man_72. I have a Retrosound radio http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/93 and am very happy with it. That said, until I soundproofed my cab with Raammat and mass-loaded vinyl, I couldn't hear it when I was cruising around. The road and exhaust noise overtook the radio.

Retrosound fits into an uncut dash and the knobs they supply are a good facsimile of the originals (or you can use originals if you have them lying around). The USB/Aux-in jack is on a cable and can be put in your glovebox. Install is as easy as it gets on these trucks, they give you a complete harness.

If your dash is already cut, you can buy any radio from Crutchfield or Best Buy, but if it's not and you're looking to keep it that way, the Retrosound is a great option.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote