The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
Alorotom

Need help with a price

Today, a very nice mexican lady (she lives around the corner from me) slammed into my 1969 chevy c-10 stepside. The truck is primer coated and was in the process of being restored. She hit the darn thing going 60 mph causing a whole ton of damage to include a buckled cab. The drivers side of the bed actually split away from the rest of the bed and the frame looks like you could use it to draw a really large circle. The tranny and rearend broke after she had managed to push it 50 feet down the road (the truck was parked in front of the house were it normally sits) Unfortunately for me I just finished the engine a couple of months ago 400 sb pumped up to 460 hp. A real monster, but I love my truck and she was worth every penny.

Now on to my problem, I have no idea how much the darn thing is worth. I have dealt with the insurance company she uses before. They are a bunch of jerks and will of course be calling me to offer $400 salvage value. The problem I have is that I have only seen one other 69 stepside and the guy wanted $13000 for it. So any help at all would be appreciated.

Alorotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Contact your own insurance co. and have them help you with the value.

Her insurance co. will offer you a settlement and you keep the truck.

Unfortunately, I have been through a few of these problems.
Most have been worked out amicably.

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
palallin

Re: Need help with a price

Quote:
Originally posted by Alorotom
Today, a very nice mexican lady (she lives around the corner from me) slammed into my 1969 chevy c-10 stepside. . . .
You get the award for the most laid-back guy know of. Anyone else would be using far different terms to describe her. Kudos for character. Sorry to hear about the truck, though.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

ALOROTOM (SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF AN OLD BUCK RODGERS MOVIE)-- I HOPE YOU HAVE ALL OF THE EXPENDITURES ON YOUR TRUCK WELL DOCUMENTED. I HAVE FULL, AGREED UPON COVERAGE ON MY BLAZER & MY TOWTRUCK ($10000 EACH) BUT I HAD TO HAVE THEM APPRAISED, & MY INS. AGENT TOOK SEVERAL PICTURES OF EACH. ONE NICE THING ABOUT THESE OLD TRUCKS IS , FULL COVERAGE DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH EITHER.(OF COARSE I'M AN OLD GUY WITH A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD). WHEN HER INSURANCE CO. OFFERS YOU PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR, CALMLY EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT YOU WOULD LIKE THE TO REPLACE IT WITH A "LIKE VALUE" VEHICAL. YOUR LOCATION IS NOT LISTED, BUT IF YOU'VCE ONLY SEEN 1 69 BEFORE, YOU MUST LIVE SOMEWHERE IN THE RUST BELT. LOCATION & CONDITION CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A $600 TRUCK & A $10000 TRUCK. GOOD LUCK & I HOPE IT COMES OUT OK. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-16-2003 at 10:10 AM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Any chance you have kept receipts? A very well documented letter to her insurance carrier from the beginning should help. If you get an adjustor stuck on the average value of an old truck, you will have a difficult time getting them to understand the true value. If it were me I would try to get directly to a high level/senior adjustor rather than just a regular adjustor. This is one time when a level headed, well documetented approach will be much better than going in hot headed with no documents. Your above post already shows me you aren't going to take the hot headed approach. Good luck, and if worse gets to worse, you will be able to show a jury the real value of your truck and they won't be able to show it is a $400 old truck.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Also, post some pics if you can of what you started with and what it was like near the time of the accident, along with your location to help us give you a ball park value figure.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
Alorotom

Cool No rust belt for me

No I dont live in the rust belt, I live in southern Arizona. There are only 4 older chevy trucks around here and they are all either 71 or 72 and none of them stepside.
Alorotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

START COLLECTING FOR SALE ADS FROM THROW AWAY PAPERS LIKE "DEALS ON WHEELS",BIG NICKEL. PENNY SAVER ECT. THAT SHOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR THEIR TRUCKS. IT REALLY WON'T MATTER MUCH (FOR COMPARISON) WEATHER IT'S A STEP OR A FLEET (FLEETS ARE GENEALLY MORE VALUABLE) & THIS WILL GIVE YOU A PRETTY GOOD BASE FOR IT'S VALUE. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THE TRUCK, & ANY IN PROCESS PROGRESS, IT'LL SURE HELP. THE MORE DOCUMENTATION YOU HAVE--- THE STRONGER YOUR CASE WILL BE.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
FRANKIEPOTATAS

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO!! THIS IS WHAT I DID WITH MY 71 C-10 SHORT STEP: THE INSURANCE COMPANY CAME OUT AND OFFERED ME ABOUT THREE FOR IT (50,000 ORIGINAL MILE TRUCK) SO I PROMPTLY REFUSED. AFTER ABOUT A YEAR OF AGGRESSIVE LETTERS AND NOT VERY LOVELY PHONE CALLS, I TOOK MY TRUCK TO A PRIVATE APPRAISER AND GAVE HIM A LIST OF ALL THE PARTS THAT I HAD SAVED UP FOR THE TRUCK AND COST. HE BASED THE APPRAISAL ON "BEFORE ACCIDENT" CONDITION. I TOOK THAT APPRAISAL AND TOOK THE INSURANCE COMPANY TO COURT AND WON AND WAS AWARDED THE FULL APPRAISAL VALUE. TO ADD, I DID NOT HAVE COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE SO I HAD TO GO AFTER THE INSURANCE COMPANY OF THE PERSON WHO HIT ME.
ALSO, YOU CAN JUST DEMAND THAT YOUR TRUCK GET REPAIRED NO MATTER WHAT AND REFUSE ANY OFFER FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY OTHER THAN WHAT YOU WANT. IF THEY REFUSE, JUST GET TRUCK REPAIR ESTIMATE AND USE THAT IN COURT INSTEAD OF APPRAISAL.......AND MAKE DAMN SURE THAT THEY DON'T ISSUE A SALVAGE TITLE ON YOUR TRUCK!
FRANKIEPOTATAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
busterwivell

It's after the fact, but I agree with Junkyard John. I have agreed value coverage on my truck for 10,000. I have a friend who had the exact same coverage on his car. When he was t-boned, His agent wrote the check for 10K and told him not to worry, they'd take care of it with the other company. That's where the appraisal comes in handy. That coverage is cheaper than you might think.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote