The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
SunSoaked

Serp belt/efi installed

Got the serp system off the junkyard 91 sierra, new sandan compressor,rams horns and edelbrock pro-flo installed today
Attached Images

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Serp belt/efi installed

Nice! That Sanden is such a much better A/C compressor than the R4 that was originally on those type brackets. Good job with going with a Sanden. Looks great!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
SunSoaked

The 91 I found had the sandan comp. I'm pretty sure it was a factory setup. I was elated to stumble across this setup with the sandan on the serp brackets. I put a new PS pump in my tin off the 87 M1008 and it bolted right up, so I have the dual return ports for the hydroboost. I wish my 4500 swap would fall into place as easy as this did
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Nah, a Sanden is not factory. That is a conversion. Looks like your project is coming together nicely.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
jjzepplin

How does that Sanden attach at the bottom?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
SunSoaked

The two bottom ears on the sanden bolt directly to the bracket using factory holes that the r4 would have used. The top two the same way except for a couple of "ears" or "tabs" about 2-3 inches long. You can see them in the photos. The offest front to rear is perfect and aligns the belt and centers the pulley perfectly. Thats why I was convinced it was factory, it's way to simple and easy. I was thinking I was going to have to buy a conversion bracket to make it work. You could build the tabs for a few bucks. All you need is some 1/4 steel about and inch wide and 2-3 inces long with a 3/8 hole in each end.

Thanks again Larry for the fact check
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
70K10Hunter

Are you saying that the serp setup had originally the R4 pump?
Because that is what I have and I know the Sanden is a much better compressor.
Looks good you are further along with it, the sanden compressor doesen't quite sit all the way down in the pocket but it looks like it is only noticable on a full frontal view which is not an issue in my opinion. you didn't post a pic of the rams horn exhaust which I have been contemplating between those and headers. Was curios if there was going to be a clearance issues. You are going to do a 4500 swap? hows that coming along?
70K10Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70K10Hunter View Post
Are you saying that the serp setup had originally the R4 pump?
Because that is what I have and I know the Sanden is a much better compressor.
Looks good you are further along with it, the sanden compressor doesen't quite sit all the way down in the pocket but it looks like it is only noticable on a full frontal view which is not an issue in my opinion. you didn't post a pic of the rams horn exhaust which I have been contemplating between those and headers. Was curios if there was going to be a clearance issues. You are going to do a 4500 swap? hows that coming along?
At some point before I found it at the junkyard it was converted from a R4 to a sanden. It looked factory to me, I didn't know the difference. If you get a sanden, let me know and I'll make you the adapters cheap based off mine.

I'm keeping the Rams Horns from the original engine. I like them and they work well. No clearance issues.

The 4500 swap is still in the "locating" stage. Likely, I'll work on the rest of the truck keeping my eyes open for the parts I need, but when I'm ready for the drivetrain, I'll probably just buy a complete kit (High-Impact?) and stuff it all in.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
70K10Hunter

You got aluminum heads on that badboy? cool,those rams horns look good, I think thats the way I will go too, just got to find the set for me. I test fit my serp setup that I got off a member here it fits good even on the Goodwrench engine but it has the R4 compressor so I will definately be changing up to the Sanden. I will go out to my shop and compare my front assy to yours by visual means to check likeness for the sanden comp mount,
Thanks for the offer on the brackets but I know I can fab some up with some steel I have lying around they look too simple to make(LOL)
Are you going to change your water neck? or are you going to double 90 around your Alt?
I can check to see if there is a part# on my neck and I can post it for you if you choose to change it.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
70K10Hunter

could you post a closeup of the model compressor that is mounted on your setup? maybe a belt number also?
Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
SunSoaked

Quote:
could you post a closeup of the model compressor that is mounted on your setup? maybe a belt number also?
Thanks
They are just painted silver. They are actually very good heads. World Products Torquer Srs.

Model on compressor= SD5 "Standard Vintage Air Model". Make sure you specify you want the serpentine pulley. This was originally a v-belt, but I swapped it over to serp. Getting just the pulley after the fact is a major PITA. I got lucky from another board member.

I also put a new idle pulley on while I was at it (picture/part # in photo below). It's cheaper to buy the pulley/bearing assembly than just the bearing. About $23 at Napa
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
70K10Hunter

Thanks SunSoaked that is exactly the model I have coming my way now, I didnt get a belt with my setup, I guess I could have looked it up per application as I got the year and model the setup was taken off of. Dont know if the compressor swap would change the belt requirement tho.You haven't added to your build thread lately hows it coming along? I have decided to purchase a pressure sand blaster to do all my blasting work with,and I recently acquired a huge 80gal compressor that puts out around 17cfm of air to have around the house I am tired of listening to my gas powered unit on my service truck.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
SunSoaked

Quote:
Thanks SunSoaked that is exactly the model I have coming my way now, I didnt get a belt with my setup, I guess I could have looked it up per application as I got the year and model the setup was taken off of. Dont know if the compressor swap would change the belt requirement tho.You haven't added to your build thread lately hows it coming along? I have decided to purchase a pressure sand blaster to do all my blasting work with,and I recently acquired a huge 80gal compressor that puts out around 17cfm of air to have around the house I am tired of listening to my gas powered unit on my service truck.
Yea, get the belt for the year/model you pulled it from. Also, might consider adding a new "reverse rotation" water pump while your at it. Oh, and since I changed the timing cover seal while I was at it, I noticed the timing chain was stretched pretty good, so it got replaced too. You see where this is going?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
jjzepplin

I have headers on mine with a mini starter and this system is very good for that setup as nothing is bolted to the exhaust. I also have a Sanden in the garage I was going to put on but I think it will not clear the tall valve covers and I am not going to change those roller rockers out. ( famous last words)..BTW those Percy aluminum header gaskets seem to be sealing quite nicely!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
SunSoaked

I'd still try it. It looks like the sanden would clear the tall covers. I have comp cams roller rockers under my short valve covers. What are those pipes coming out of the base of the water neck?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
jjzepplin

Those pipes go to the rear water fittings on the intake manifold and supply water to the rear of the engine. I read somewhere that the 400sbc starves for coolant flow in the back of the block so this was my solution. About ten years and she has never overheated. Used the original heads and punched them to 2.02's and had them blended and ported a bit.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
70K10Hunter

years ago I had a 76K20 with a 400SB never had any cooling problems, drove that bad boy all around the Idaho mtns and clear to WallaWalla several times pulling a camp trailer for about 2yrs when I was logging, kick myself in the butt for getting rid of it.
Damn that was a nice truck!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
70K10Hunter

jjzepplin...the small block 400s had large bores and the cooling issue that I was familar with was there was no coolant flow between the cylinder walls because they were so large and all connected. thats just what I heard, I personally never tore apart a 400 SB to check.
good you used brass and copper to keep corrosion to a minimum.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
SunSoaked

Quote:
jjzepplin...the small block 400s had large bores and the cooling issue that I was familar with was there was no coolant flow between the cylinder walls because they were so large and all connected. thats just what I heard, I personally never tore apart a 400 SB to check.
Yep-siamese cylinder bores prevented water from flowing between the bores. Usually, it would create steam pockets and cause the heads to crack.

Where in Idaho? I grew up in Twin Falls area
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
70K10Hunter

Bought a house in Nampa then sold it and bought a bigger house and some land just west of Caldwell out in the country then sold it??!!
Been to Twin Falls many-a-time.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #21
jjzepplin

Quote:
This is my first 400sbc. I built it in 2000. I read a lot of books by the great Smokey Yunick and just took every precaution I could. I have built literally hundreds of engines but only a couple for myself. I am experimenting with this serpentine setup and it seems to work well. And it was very cheap (free). The reverse flow pump does not seem to make much of a difference but I have not had it on the road yet. But it is breathing fire on those jackstands!!!!