The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
FlatBlack83

Exclamation Timing Help!

Here is the deal, just dropped in a rebuilt 454 and hooked everything up and the engine cranks but wont turn over. after redropping the distributor about 7 times and rechecking the firing order of the plugs, i decided something else had to be the issue, its getting fuel and getting spark. I then went through the trouble of pulling the front of the motor apart to check the dots on the cam gear and crank gear. They werent lined up at all. brought the #1 piston to TDC and realigned the cam accordingly. put everything back together and it still wont turn over. Could the cam be out 180 degrees? or is it just the ignition timing is out 180 degrees? I am going to try readjusting the distributor rotor out 180 first and see if that fixes it, in the mean time any help or advice would be greatly apprciated!!

My Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536997
FlatBlack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
71maligreen

Re: Timing Help!

both marks on the cam and the crank timming gears should be faceing directly at eachother to set cam in correct position and when number 1 piston is at dop dead center they should both be faceing up towards the top of the engine.
at this point the dist. rotor should be pointed directly at the number 1 plug post on the cap. recheck all your wires and make sure they are on the correct posts and plugs ...
71maligreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71maligreen View Post
both marks on the cam and the crank timming gears should be faceing directly at eachother to set cam in correct position and when number 1 piston is at dop dead center they should both be faceing up towards the top of the engine.
at this point the dist. rotor should be pointed directly at the number 1 plug post on the cap. recheck all your wires and make sure they are on the correct posts and plugs ...
Nope, this is wrong. It is 180* out at this point. The #1 piston is up, but on the exhaust stroke, not compression.
If you intend to drop the distributor when the dots are together, just point the rotor at the #6 terminal.

FlatBlack83, the cam is like that on every other revolution of the crank, it travels at half the speed ofthe smaller gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
FlatBlack83

yes it was 180 out! got her running!!!! thanks!!! I will post a vid soon!

My Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536997
FlatBlack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71maligreen View Post
both marks on the cam and the crank timming gears should be faceing directly at eachother to set cam in correct position and when number 1 piston is at dop dead center they should both be faceing up towards the top of the engine...
woooooaaaahhhh, that's great info there!
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote