The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
I_Drive_Chevy

This Craigslist ad sounds stolen truck to me thoughts?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3339179830.html
Posted via Mobile Device
I_Drive_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
fine69

Re: This Craigslist ad sounds stolen truck to me thoughts?

I would go look at it if i wanted to buy a truck.

I have had the same issue before. Bought a truck. Guy said, i will get the title out tomorrow. Had to threaten to call the cops on him to get it.

Could be legit.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
I_Drive_Chevy

Think it's worth it could be lien or stolen etc?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
sboris

Is it worth it? Looks not too bad in pics, but nothing is more irritating than somebody that is selling something and don't know what they want for it.. I would call and feel the guy out before going to see it. Get there and he wants 4 grand and no title.. No way. Don't know about the legality of buying something with no title. I'd do some checking
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
big d's red67

Get the VIN# call the DMV and see if it comes up stolen then go from there.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
I_Drive_Chevy

He said have the police there do vin check but what about liens and stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My opinion is that if he doesn't have the title,all he has is parts.I would only give low parts value reguardless of condition.I would also require a notorized "Bill of Sale".If he wants to sell a truck,he needs to do the legwork to get a title.If he wants to sell it super cheap,it might be worth it.Many states wont allow a wrecking yard to take one without a title.If that happens,even after you take what you want off of it,then you have to cut it up to get rid of it.I'm not saying the truck isn't worth decent money,just that it's worth less without a title.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
big d's red67

Here in Oklahoma we can do what is called a title 42, it allows anyone with a car/ truck with no title to get one. Check with your local tag office or google it to see if your state has a way to get a clear title. I have done it here on old cars newer cars I just got a clear title on a 05 Yamaha motorcycle using this method, it does cost to get it done. I have a lady in Tulsa that dose all the work for me I just pay her about a hundred bucks or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
I_Drive_Chevy

Don't think it's stolen if he do vin check with the cops in front of me. But how I know a previous owner doesn't have a lien on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
jocko

If the guy can't come up with the title, I'd just keep lookin... Why go through the hassle of wondering about it? If you verify with police it's not stolen - then the question becomes why it has no title? At the very least, if his story is true (trouble getting the title from prev owner) then it's his problem - don't make it yours. In some states, this exact situation is called a "skipped title" - and you don't want to be the last guy standing in the musical chairs that will ensue. He's either honest and you're looking at resolving a skipped title case - or he's lazy, or it's stolen. I'd just keep lookin, not worth the headache. (last time I lived in IN, it was a "title state")
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
davepl

I've never done it, and I'm sure it varies state to state, but I've read a number of horror stories about trying to get a new title.

As an example, you often have to contact EVERY previously registered owner by registered mail and in EACH case they must (a) consent or (b) refuse. If they accept the letter but don't respond, no new title for you.

Why would someone not assist? Besides just being lazy or rude, imagine some elderly lady getting a legal-sounding letter about a truck her late husband used to own. Should she sign it?

If you find a ZL1 or COPO or something, maybe it's worth it. Sounds like a LOT of work to save a few bucks on one of these trucks...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

The guy needs to get the title,whatever it takes,then sell it. It's that simple. He must know where the guy lives unless he bought it somewhere else. If I was him I'd be a bigger PIA until I got the title.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
LMREESE

I agree not worth the hassle. It could be on the up and up but the guys shop does look like a seedy backwoods chop shop. (Kinda like my place) :lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i wouldn't bother unless for parts, when i buy something the title is in my hand when the money changes hand no title no money.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Square_78

COuld be a personal Repo or someone died and he took the truck, or someone else gave him the truck with no title, or it was left on his property or abandoned... could be anything. Maybe someone owed him money and he went and took it. Might not even be registered as stolen if it was a shadey deal. Might not come up as stolen now, but in 6 months someone could come looking for it who actually has the title and wants it back. Then you lose the truck.

I would ONLY buy it as a "parts truck" for disassembly, and get the sale notorized. I still dont know if I would want to be the "last man standing" as mentioned above if some crazy person came looking for it.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
dukcaln

craigslist is a crap shoot... I have had great succes and not so great.. too many idiots not representing the truth.. that sh#t pisses me off.... be a man and be straight forward
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #17
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Too much hassle in a state that requires titles.

For all you know the previous owner never really owned it or owes money on it. They may not even have a title for it if the current owner ever can get in touch with them. Since the guy won't return his calls I would be inclined to believe he doesn't have a title to hand over.

I would pass on this one and keep looking.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I'm with Hubscrub. If I was that seller I never would have paid for that truck without receiving the title...unless just for parts. Even then,you need a title to scrap it once parted out...unless it's cut into pieces no larger that 3' x 3'. How long ago did he buy it I wonder? If he's trying to flip,he made a bad investment. If he's had it a while,he's had time to get the title. Can't sell something to me with a story like that. Makes me wonder why the guy "won't answer the phone". Makes me wonder if I'd want to deal with this guy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
CC69Rat

Realizing I'm in the minority of the people who would give it a shot, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut. I'm from TN, it's not that uncommon here. These trucks are old guys. Things happen. Houses catch fire, the old man that bought it could have lost the title and someone who got it just didn't care, or drove it in a no title state for a while and sold it (?) You just never know.

Get the VIN number, do your leg work. Go to the DMV and ask for the paperwork they would need incase you want to try it. You just have to have your ducks in a row, but it is possible to get a title.

I bought one without a title. BUT I had my paperwork in line, a registered dealer friend in the background and the local Sherrif's Dept on standby.

So, we're gonna scrap it? I think not..
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
GMCJOE

I would definitely go check it out. Take the VIN, go to the DMV to see if it is registered and who the last owner was. Check to see if it is been reported stolen thru the law enforcement. Heck, if the DMV give's you the last person it was registered and title too, they might give you the title or file for it if you pay. You won't know what the deal is till doing a little leg work, and this might be the best deal you find and be an easy titling process. I bought a few with out titles, always made sure they wasn't stolen first though. Then I used this titling service: http://www.broadwaytitle.com/lost-automobile-titles.htm

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
truckster

How can you go wrong for $1.00?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
RPBurris

When i registered my truck in Indiana i had to go to the police station to have them do a VIN check. The DMV will only do the check if the VIN is in the window using the standardized 16 digit (or whatever it is) VIN. These trucks do not follow that format and the BMV will not confirm the VIN without a police check. I think they charged $5. I am not too sure if the cops would run a VIN without seeing the vehicle.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
GMCJOE

You can definitely call the DMV and give them the VIN to find out if the vehicle has been register in the last 5 years, they also can tell you if the title has a lien on it. Though, you probably won't be able to get the name of the last owner, but you can always ask. They won't charge you either. At least in Missouri or Kansas they don't. I do it quite often if I find a vehicle I am interested in with no title. I have also used the above site I had mentioned, they tell you to call the DMV on there site also. Cop's only going to tell you if it's stolen or not if you can get them to run it through there system for you. Good luck. Definitely worth looking into.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote