The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
jdarren

Jacked up wiper motor

When I removed my instrument panel recently, I noticed a big rust hole where the wiper drive arm passes through the firewall. So I removed the cowl vent, disconnected the wiper arm linkage from the cowl, disconnected the linkage from the motor, and...the motor fell in the floor. HA! I didn't realize the mounting bracket was completely rusted through and not attached.

With the motor removed, it looks like this. The 3-prong connection was hooked up to wires, but the 2-prong connection was not. I did notice another free-hanging, loose connector in that bundle of wires.

So here’s what I’m wondering…

Was the mounting bracket welded to the underside of the firewall?

Is the 2-prong connector for the washer pump?

I’ve seen refurbished units available on LMC Truck. Has anyone rebuilt ther own?
jdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Jacked up wiper motor

Mount is welded to the firewall and the 2 prong is for the pump. I sold one of our members a cutout patch to fix his so you should be able to get a patch and a good motor from the parts board and weld it up (or have it done) and be good to go.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Wow! Someone else with a wiper motor falling out. I was on my way to work one morning when mine fell. Only, in my case it was due to the whole mount having been slathered with non-automotive RTV.

I did buy a patch piece from a member in New Mexico, which I will have to locate. It actually includes part of the dash/speaker grille and then goes on down and around the wiper motor. Here's a pic of my problem. Oh, I got another cab.....hope you have better luck.

How big of a hurry are you in?
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
jdarren

ChevLoRay, I'm in no hurry at all. And I would love a pathc panel like that. Thanks.
jdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The piece that I'm talking about includes the wiper motor mount without rust, but extends up thru the windshield opening and into the interior to include part of the dash. Whether or not a person would need to use all of that, or maybe just up to the opening.....I think the intent was to have a good reference for a piece of metal that would allow the motor to be mounted correctly and have it indexed properly to allow for correct wiper operation.

I bought another cab, because the wiper motor issue was the least of my problems.

I have to go to my body/paint guy and get that piece from him....not going to use it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote