The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM   #1
JREs69er

carb/hei ???

I have recently put on a Edelbrock performer intake with a Holley 1850 carb. I have set my timing to 10 degrees bdtc and carb idle at 750 rpm. Book shows 4 degrees bdtc but I believe this is with points. I have tweaked the idle mixture screws and I have about 27 inches of mercury on vaccuum gauge. Is there anything else or any changes that I should make to the above to pass an emissions test. I failed miserably with the original intake and quadrajet. I have 2 more chances before the end of October to pass. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
JREs69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

With the Holley it is really easy to adjust the float...I would lower the float till it would barely run. This should lean out the mixture quite a bit. Limp up to the inspection station, pass the test, and come back home and set the float where it was.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I can honestly say that I have never seen a car engine that would do this. You must have no overlap to draw that kind of vacuum.
Quote:
I have about 27 inches of mercury on vaccuum gauge
But back to the question. The idle mixture screw should be adjusted toward the lean stumble direction from the highest vacuum. When you get the lean stumble reverse direction on the screws about an 1/8 th of a turn. Make sure the choke is working correctly. If it doesn't fully open adjust it so it is when warm. What the h*ll is up with emission checking a truck our age? This stuff is all a bunch of crap anyways. The government way to make more cash. Emission checks here cost $14 every time you go and then some moron who doesn't know squat. Drives the vehicle on the tread mill. They usually suck so it takes three times longer than if I was the one driving it on the tread mill. Oh well. What can you do. Other than moving somewhere that doesn't test.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
67chevemall

I agree with the emissions bull sh!T, here in Ontario it is even worse! You can drive anything if you safty it and purchase a $15 permit every 10 days to by pass the e test? What a joke!
I drove for two years with trip permits, and this thing layed out more black smoke then a freight train! The good thing is the e test is only on vehicles 20 years and older, which protects my truck! After 20 you can pump out purple smoke! What a joke!
The sh!t head Ernie Eves and mike Harris should go spoon in the woods. At least there they would be productive!

This whole bs story is all about the government tring to weed out the gasoline engine, which they fd up in the first place!
You sell something YOU should be responsible for it not the consumer!

$0.02!!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote