The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
SCOTI

Trailer winch recommendations??

Hey guys, anyone have a suggestion for a GOOD moderately priced winch for my car hauler? Looking for something that can handle a 3500-4000# vehicle & that's not used daily or anything. Any thoughts on which to avoid? Thanks in advance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Mike C

I have a Superwinch S2500 with the controls on the winch. It works excellent. I put a 70 3/4 ton parts truck on the trailer with 2 flats and a stuck brake. (Did drain two batts, but it did it!) I got it when Summit had a 10% off coupon they sent me, but the regular price is only like $210. My trailer is an 18' steel floor with slide out ramps and a 4 foot dovetail. When I had it built they put a 12" c channel in between the front end of the trailer and the first crossmember for bolting a winch to. So make sure your trailer is re-inforced for a winch if a steel floor, and if wood, make some sort of plate that spreads the load over several of the boards.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I got the S3500 SuperWinch. It will run you about 275 out of Summit or Jegs. I just pulled a 3/4 ton truck up on my trailer tonight without any problem. That's nothing you say! It had front wheels only, no rear axle at all and the box was loaded with 2 rearends, 2 doors, 6-16" tires and rims and all the little worthless stuff I could toss in there before it goes to the crusher tomorrow. The bumper acted like a plow by removing the top 4" of top soil. The winch never even grunted. I did use one snatch block set up to help pull that load.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
SCOTI

Thanks for the input. I've seen the superwinch series as well as a Warn winch series & was trying to decide which was better.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-18-2002, 03:04 PM   #5
Mudder

Remember!

Using a snatch block will double a winches pulling rate and always be careful. A winch cable or hook can kill you!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
SCOTI

Ok. . . pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a 'snatch block'?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #7
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

It is a method of birth control...............

Or it could be another pulley with a hook on it. That is what I have allways called it. I had to go look it up on the internet to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart. You put this pulley with another hook on your line. Hook it to your truck and then run the main line back to the front of the trailer and attatch it there. You cable will look like a V. You have now doubled the pulling capacity of the winch. Works great when there are several brakes locked up on a truck too.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:21 PM   #8
Mike C

Simple physics. Pulls twice as hard, but takes twice as long. Now the winch cable has to move a foot in order for the load to move 6". Good joke, though...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Re: Trailer winch recommendations??

Dont know if you purchased this winch for your trailer or not but here is some thoughts I have done to the trailer I have. The blue wire is the backup wire since I have not added the reverse lights yet. Im still figuring out some relays to have the lights work off the 7 pin and then run a switch for them (and some others) for general lighting. Here you go!

1. Added the Badlands 12K lb winch from HF $299 (dont laugh) its the best for the money) lol
2. Add a newer battery from a truck I parted (free)
3. addd a distribution block to give power to accessory lights and protect the system
4. Add the capability of a 4 and 7 pin connector plug for charging the trailer battery.
5. Run the power wire for the trailer battery through the distribution block with a 15 amp fuse in case you overuse the trailer battery, you wont hurt the vehicle wiring (might have to adjust the rating).
6. I have some additional thought but like the ones above, I may need to research more and see if there is fesibality to the mods.
If anyopne sees any fatal flaws I would appreciate the knowledge on this thread. The battery box is not added yet untill I get the wiring done.
I added pics for reference.

Mike
Attached Images

Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
stomper

I use one similar to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-i...nch-96455.html

It's more powerful than you would think. I like it because I didn't have to fabricate a mount on my trailer for it. Just wrap a short chain around the tongue and thru the eye of the mounting plate. Not elegant and mine has no power out. Of course I'd rather have an aluminum Texas rollback trailer too but it has never failed me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Dont know if you purchased this winch for your trailer or not but here is some thoughts I have done to the trailer I have. The blue wire is the backup wire since I have not added the reverse lights yet. Im still figuring out some relays to have the lights work off the 7 pin and then run a switch for them (and some others) for general lighting. Here you go!

1. Added the Badlands 12K lb winch from HF $299 (dont laugh) its the best for the money) lol
2. Add a newer battery from a truck I parted (free)
3. addd a distribution block to give power to accessory lights and protect the system
4. Add the capability of a 4 and 7 pin connector plug for charging the trailer battery.
5. Run the power wire for the trailer battery through the distribution block with a 15 amp fuse in case you overuse the trailer battery, you wont hurt the vehicle wiring (might have to adjust the rating).
6. I have some additional thought but like the ones above, I may need to research more and see if there is fesibality to the mods.
If anyopne sees any fatal flaws I would appreciate the knowledge on this thread. The battery box is not added yet untill I get the wiring done.
I added pics for reference.

Mike
I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, but that winch is mounted in the worst possible configuration. I realize that the chances that you will pull 12000 LBS is very slim, but that winch will break and hurt someone/ something.

Winches should pull from the bottom. Your configuration is lifting the winch. Winches up to 9000 can be mounted with the bolts in shear. 10,000 and above, should be mounted with the feet toward the hook.

Please consider mounting it in another configuration.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Good info still,... on a 10 year old thread.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, but that winch is mounted in the worst possible configuration. I realize that the chances that you will pull 12000 LBS is very slim, but that winch will break and hurt someone/ something.

Winches should pull from the bottom. Your configuration is lifting the winch. Winches up to 9000 can be mounted with the bolts in shear. 10,000 and above, should be mounted with the feet toward the hook.

Please consider mounting it in another configuration.
I'll take the picking over hurting someone! I'll reconfigure and try it again. Thank you for the input, I appreciate the info.
Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote