The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
effects66

gas tank filler neck & venting?

So I am sure this has been asked, and I did a quick search but didn't find my answer yet.

I am just about to start the transplant of everything as well as putting in the new EFI Boyd's tank that I purchased in back.

My question is, what has everyone used for a filler neck, gas cap and venting for this? I have heard of gas coming out of the gas caps and etc. Do I need a vented gas cap or not. I want to make sure I am doing it right the first time. My Boyds tank is the efi with vent and side fill. I plan on routing the filler inside the bed but close to the tailgate on the inside wall.

Suggestions, pictures a big plus would be great!!

Thanks in advance!
effects66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: gas tank filler neck & venting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by effects66 View Post
So I am sure this has been asked, and I did a quick search but didn't find my answer yet.

I am just about to start the transplant of everything as well as putting in the new EFI Boyd's tank that I purchased in back.

My question is, what has everyone used for a filler neck, gas cap and venting for this? I have heard of gas coming out of the gas caps and etc. Do I need a vented gas cap or not. I want to make sure I am doing it right the first time. My Boyds tank is the efi with vent and side fill. I plan on routing the filler inside the bed but close to the tailgate on the inside wall.

Suggestions, pictures a big plus would be great!!

Thanks in advance!
You definitely need to vent that tank. My tank isn't a boyd's but it's hooked up the same way. I used a Russell 6AN roll over valve as a vent. Makes it NHRA/AHRA legal and gives the tank a clear vent to allow air to enter or exit normally but closes off if you somehow get shiny side down.
Roll Over valve on the cross member, vent line closest to sender, engine supply next to vent and electric pump on passenger side frame rail. Fill comes up through bed floor with a flush mount fill cap.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
effects66

Re: gas tank filler neck & venting?

Great looking truck!!!

thanks for the response. Now, do I need to have the gas cap vented? I was planning on running a vent line to the fill neck but that would be under the cap. So my logic would be I need to have a vented gas cap. I just don't want fuel to be pushed out under acceleration.
effects66 is offline   Reply With Quote