The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
luvbowties

Re: Wheel/tire fitment 63 C10 6-lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63C10StepBigWindow View Post
Okay, here's my second thread, and I am know I'm being lazy.

I need advice for my 63 C10 re: wheels and tires.

I've been searching for wheels, and I've learned how limited the choices are. I'd like to add disc up front. Is it necessary to convert to 5-lug wheels?

If I keep the 6-lug wheels, where can I find some wheel choices? What can I fit? I was looking for 16s or 17s, but I have no idea what width or backspacing will work. What backspacing will I need with my drums? With discs? I want to do a static drop of 2-3 inches, maybe a bit more. Please help!

As far as my taste in wheels goes, I don't want something too traditional, but I will go with a variation of the Chevy rally if all else fails. If I'm persuaded to go the 5-lug route, I'll be open to all sorts of ideas.
I cannot answer ???? about back-spacing, but should you drop it as you intend, do not expect to run anything much wider than 7-inchers; my '66 just lacked physical room needed to keep 8-inchers from rubbing on top of the tires. Approx. '88-'90 SS chrome wheels [7-inch] with centers were my final solution: I wanted to stay with genuine Chev if I could. Used 265-70-15 and they barely clear. These SS wheels look much wider than they are. Mine is a stepper like yours, and I changed to 5-lugs. But even with 6 lugs, the 8" rally wheels from newer Blazers would only fit with smaller tires than I wanted. Look & you'll see quite a few projects with taller/bigger tires on front, 5-lug or 6-lug.

IMHO, 6-lug rallies like from big 4wd Blazers always look good. Also, 5-lug in same style always look good, and come on vans, in 8-inch, 7 inch, and I think 6.5 inch--8inch w/smaller tires vs 7inch w/bigger tires are a tossup.

I've seen it many times, but don't like it when 8-inchers are on front with 7 inchers on back; but we now know why! They make & you could use vette-style rallies--in 6-lug and 5-lug--but I'd check backspace against these other rallies before buying. Please don't make mistake I made, in buying w/out measuring, a deal on brand new 8-inch vette-rallies w/new tires--they rubbed--& were not useable-- w/rear at stock height; & no way would they even go on after we lowered the rear 3".
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote