The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
weever82

What did this steering box come out of?

I am trying to learn more about my steering components while my truck tilt is being rebuilt by Kevin and had a few questions about the steering box.

I am going to order a new rag joint and was told its a 3/4 36 spline system. However where do you think this steering box came out of? 73-87 truck or aftermarket? I have power disc brakes up front.

Is it integral or without integral steering?

Two lines go into it also if that matters.... being a noob sucks...

Weev-
Attached Images

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne

Last edited by weever82; 10-14-2012 at 09:01 PM.
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
weever82

Re: What did this steering box come out of?

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: What did this steering box come out of?

Just by the pictures it look correct for a 71 Chevy truck. The lines and pump may be differant though and that is why the one hose comes through the fender. Just a guess.
Can u post a pic of the pump?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
SS Tim

The '69 up trucks and I believe most '68s have integral power steering. The other style uses a ram on the linkage with a steering actuated control valve. It looks like a mad moment of plumbing and is usually covered in leaking fluid. Yours could be a number of boxes. They have casting numbers but often the individual build is a color code or ink stamp. Useful during initial build but meaningless down the line. Might try to see if there is a visible casting number and go from there. The line going through the inner is a bit surprising but I have seen worse. Suspect it was simply a line that would fit "if". Somebody chime in but I don't remember a notch in the bumper bracket being stock. But then I am a lot better with numbers.
Being a noob is only a starting point and nothing to apologize for. Just need to learn and read, that will get you up to speed soon enough. If you don't have the manuals for your truck you might consider getting them, even as modified as your truck is, as a reference baseline.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
weever82

Thanks for the input guys, I actually just ordered my chassis manual the other day and just waiting for it to show up and start reading up some more on everything. Ya, it stinks sometimes having lots of modified parts as I just can't look in the manual for it...

Heres a few pics to possibly help out. The notch in the bumper bracket isn't stock, its too "chewed" up when they notched it out to be factory. Looks to be a number 4 on the side of the box? also heres the numbers... from what I can read its a 568(6?)875....

Weev-
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by weever82 View Post
. from what I can read its a 568(6?)875....

Weev-
Look just like mine, I checked the number and it is 5686815. I pulled mine from an 84 GMC half ton. That model was used from 1980-86 half ton trucks. Here is a pic of yours, mine, and reman pics. Edit: reman pics are the same from 67-87 on rock auto so not much help on those.

I have seen others (during my own research) have to notch the rad support and bumper bracket. Hope that helps a little.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car

Last edited by 67c10rustbuket; 10-16-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: ..
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: What did this steering box come out of?

The pump is not of the 67-72 range either so I would say 67c10rustbuket maybe right in it being a 84 are so. That style pump is in that range may even be a 90's.
U can see the top of mine in the picture. Correct for a 71 small block Chevy truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
WIDESIDE72

The pump brackets look aftermarket, maybe Alan grove. The box is probably post 87. My brother and I swapped the ps box and front sway bar off a 76 onto his 72 back in the day and it was a bolt on no hack job.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
396ci

the lines to the steering box are held to the frame with a clip/bracket as they cross over the top. you can get the correct lines at a local pick-a-part but you might want to put a gromment on the hole or at least cut some hose to ensure the p/s line doesn't get cut but the inner fender. the saginaw steering box is very common (as well as the pump) and fits many different vehicles.

i have not seen or had to notch any brackets for p/s installs.

gm starting using o-rings on the p/s lines in the late 80's (my 86 c10 had them). before that the lines are standard flare style. either style will work if its complete, meaning you can't use an o-ring pump with a non o-ring box because the lines would have to be custom made.

your p/s pump appears to be mid 70's and newer (see the sample pics).

pump housings in the 60's to early 70's are typically round with a tall neck like this pic:

pump housings from mid seventies and up typically look like this pic:

1974 Chevy Crew Cab Shorty
396ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
weever82

I wonder if I could order factory hoses and put it under the fender like it should be... also what ratio do you think it is? If I need to ever replace it I am curious or are they all the same...

Weev-

Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Look just like mine, I checked the number and it is 5686815. I pulled mine from an 84 GMC half ton. That model was used from 1980-86 half ton trucks. Here is a pic of yours, mine, and reman pics. Edit: reman pics are the same from 67-87 on rock auto so not much help on those.

I have seen others (during my own research) have to notch the rad support and bumper bracket. Hope that helps a little.
Appreciate the pic! Looks about the same in my book!

Weev-

Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ci View Post

i have not seen or had to notch any brackets for p/s installs.
Apparently it was just a 67 thing, here is a thread about it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545971

Quote:
Originally Posted by weever82 View Post
I wonder if I could order factory hoses and put it under the fender like it should be... also what ratio do you think it is? If I need to ever replace it I am curious or are they all the same...

Weev-
As said by 396 the 80s box would have O ring fittings. Just pull on of your fittings and take a look if it is a flare fitting or a beaded tube/o-ring tube. Check the pics. Most suppliers sell the pic'd one for the return. just an elbow and you get return hose from autozone etc. First pic is o-ring tube second is flare tube.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post

As said by 396 the 80s box would have O ring fittings. Just pull on of your fittings and take a look if it is a flare fitting or a beaded tube/o-ring tube. Check the pics. Most suppliers sell the pic'd one for the return. just an elbow and you get return hose from autozone etc. First pic is o-ring tube second is flare tube.
Mid to late 80's as I had an 82 Suburban that still had the inverted flare...
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote