The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
jfortvalley

brake lights

i posted this in the electrical section also with a stat 900 7 wire and a rebel wire 9+3 wiring harness how do i wire up the turn signals to cancel the brake lights when i select a given a side right now the brake lights are on when the turn signals are on and the brake lights are so bright you really cant see the light flashing it is a 1157 bulb and has a smaller bulb above it so 2 bulbs per taillight one is an 1157 and the other is smaller dont know the number but the brake lights and turn signals are on the larger of the 2 (1157) and with both filaments lit up you cant see the turn signal flashing
jfortvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: brake lights

Ok, I read that wrong and got confused the first time and had to go back and reread it.

You have it wired wrong. The 1157 does not have separate brake/turn functions it is tail (the dimmer of the two) and stop/turn (the brighter of the two. The second bulb will be the turn bulb and not the tail light bulb.

In other words the 1157 socket needs to be wired Tail / brake and the second and single socket needs to be wired turn. If that bulb isn't bright enough you will have to hunt down a brighter bulb with the same base.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-20-2012 at 11:28 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
jfortvalley

so i will have the brake lights on when making a turn but with the other bulb so it will be brighter than the 1157
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
_Ogre

the 1157 bulb has the bright stop/turn and the dim tail light function.
it sounds like your brake lights are wired direct to the switch and the grey and black are wired to the smaller element.
or it is possible that you just have the 1157 wired backwards and your tail lights are over powering the stop/turn lights

your brake lights feed thru the turn signal switch so that one brake light becomes a turn signal
i've never seen a tail light assembly like your working with, a picture would have been very valuable
first get the 1157 bulb working correct and then figure out what you want to do with the smaller bulb.

the signal stat 900 that you have, has 3 hot feeds; 2 yellows and 1 black/grey wire
the other 4 wires go to bulbs at each corner of your truck
the 2 yellows feed 12v+ thru the flasher and the black/grey gets 12v+ thru the brake lite switch
the black and grey wires go to the big bright element on the 1157 bulb for stop and turn function
the smaller element on the 1157 bulb will be fed from your headlight switch for tail lights

as for the second smaller bulb in your tail light assembly...
i'd double up and feed the black and grey wire to make your stop and turn lights brighter
you can never have too much stop light

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 10-21-2012 at 12:40 PM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
jfortvalley

i got it fixed the tail lights were wired wrong at the back of the truck thanks guys