The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
indasevens

Finally got my 72 LWB-New Project....

FINALLLY got another truck I am going to use as daily driver. Had a 67 around 10 yrs ago and had to sell...This one is a keeper for me....

BUT need help...

What is everyones opinion on what to do first.

Personally I hate the wheels...Anyone got any take-offs or good deals for now..I also want to lower it..how much do i lower it....New rear bumper is needed as well...No big budget as of right now..just a few mods to make nicer.. How do I post pics of it???

Thanks for such a great forum.....
indasevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
indasevens

Re: Finally got my 72 LWB-New Project....

Got it figured out I think!!

Thanks again for such a site
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
GMCJOE

There are several ways to lower the truck. You can go new drop spindles on the front, a little costly. Although you will be able to use all your existing parts on the front end with it and drop springs on the rear. Or you can just use drop springs on the front and back for minimal cost.

Depending on what kind of bumper you are looking for to replace the current with will be the cost factor. Some people use bumpers off newer models of trucks or use vendors on the site. LMC can show you some options you could base your search off of. There are opinions on LMC's parts, some are great quality and others they offer aren't. I personally haven't had any issues with the parts I have order from them so far.

On your wheels, not sure what you are looking for. But you can pick up a decent set of rally's from craigslist or try at a salvage yard. Even if they are a little rusty, you can blast them and repaint them. If you don't want to keep the ones you have, you can sell them to fund your new purchase.

Several options out there. I suggest taking it slow and do a lot of research to get the truck the way you want it. Don't rush it, because you will end up spending more money in the long run. I have had my truck since 2008, and been getting the parts together ever since to get it the way I want. Partly because of money, mostly cause I only look for the deals to build it budget wise. This site has helped me wonders in that department. Bought most of my disc brake conversion off here, got $200 in those and would have spent about $1,000 on them brand new piece by piece. Still have to purchased the spindle and brake kit. Still have less in it than I would if I bought a complete kit from CPP or other vendors. GMCPauls.com is the only one I would get close to what I will have in it. I suggest checking that site out, pretty good deals on there.

Good luck. Truck looks great as it is.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
indasevens

WOW..thanks so much for your response..very helpful....

This forum is great!!! I am thinking of a 3/5 springs to lower
and would love some rally's for right now..but could take advantage of a deal of some 20's and 18's......

Just those two thing would change the look of my truck quick and easy..

I have been looking on craigslist for a few weeks now with no luck so far

Thanks again...anyone else???? Got any ideas
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
GMCJOE

I haven't researched it, but from some of the builds I have seen after a certain point of dropping in the rear you have to do a C-Notch on the frame.

I am going to do 2 1/2" drop spindle in the front and 2" drop springs in the rear. I like the rake, so I am going to keep it. I have HD springs in the front because the PO had a BB in the truck, so I think it will be about right with just 2" in the rear. I am just trying to tuck my tires a little closer to the fender wells. It's all personal preference on the drop. Check out threads of builds and what the drops they have look like.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! 2 1/2-4 drop brings it down and levels it, but stilll allows you to carry a load. I would do Rallies but I've always been partial to them.The first thing to do though is check all fluids and safety items.Then worrry about changes.Chances are if it can be changed someone on here has done it and most will give you advice.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
indasevens

Yep I heard too low and truck is not useful for what it was made for---Being a truck!!! I want a coold daily driver...Its got nice 350 and air, just need to start detailing and slowing make nicer......

Looking for Rally wheels as we speak..anyone got some????

thanks again
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
indasevens

Just went and picked up my "new" truck...drove it back 3 hrs. Drove perfect and smooth as can be.......Excited to start transforming it....OH and found some Rally wheels for it as well....8's in the back and 7's in front...which size tires should I buy for those rims??

Thanks everyone'
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
ole dollor

wheels look like chrome reverse with baby moons.....it don't get any better than that.....i say keep them, i like your new truck, its a keeper ...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Revhortnheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
wheels look like chrome reverse with baby moons.....it don't get any better than that.....i say keep them, i like your new truck, its a keeper ...
I agree, the baby moons look slick. Nice truck, congrats.
Revhortnheat is offline   Reply With Quote