The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Low84

Picked Up Another Square!

Well I was looking at a donor truck to fix my very first pickup an 84 Custom Deluxe.

Mainly looking for a cab was about and about to bite the bullet on a clapped out long bed 86, and came across an 87 the night before going to see the 86. Turns out I picked this up for cheaper. It's an 87 and a shorted to boot! I'm stoked

tbi 305/700r4 combo. I'm loving this truck, it's from my birth year and the extra gear and fuel injection makes it more pleasant to drive. I'm planning on cloning my beloved 84 and salvaging anything I can off of it and sending it to the crusher afterwards.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Low84

Re: Picked Up Another Square!

It's supposed to be a Silverado......but is there such a thing as a Silverado without a cab band?

It's got A/C, tilt, power locks and windows, dual gas tank, tail gate band, and fender trim.

Is there a way to verify if it is a Silverado with the vin #?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
cfan10

Nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
jasonw

Where do you get the chrome center piece for the grill like that?

I have checked LMC and ebay..nothing.

TIA
Jason
jasonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

truck looks good!!! i say keep both!!!! i got mine from lmc
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

so whats all wrong with the 84??
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
so whats all wrong with the 84??
It's got cancer on almost every panel and the cab is rotted out to what I consider beyond repair. I'll take some pics of the carnage in a few minutes
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
jasonw

I just checked LMC again...I don't see that part listed. Does anyone have a part number for the chrome center stripe?

TIA
Jason
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
ont_guy_38

They are all chrome like that, GM just puts a decal the same color as your truck over it...it's a bit of a pita to get that decal off but ya it,s all chrome

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
jasonw

thanks....I thought it must be a special chrome part. Mine is painted...so I will see if I can remove the decal.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Low84

This is before it got bad

Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
pontgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low84 View Post
This is before it got bad

Really not bad.... would like to see more... This would sand blast nicely....

Also those wheels are nice....and of course the truck too..

I love the 87's
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
79 silverado
Account Suspended

To be honest it may just be having spent so many of my earlier years in New England talking here, but, that 84 looks to be in downright good shape to start with!

Is any of that rot where if you stab it with a screwdriver it goes through, or is it just a bubbling surface rust like you may get from a poorly prepped repaint a some time in its past?

It may look worse than it is, but, considering youre in TX and the land of rustfree metal, perhaps that is a deathknell down there...
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
To be honest it may just be having spent so many of my earlier years in New England talking here, but, that 84 looks to be in downright good shape to start with!

Is any of that rot where if you stab it with a screwdriver it goes through, or is it just a bubbling surface rust like you may get from a poorly prepped repaint a some time in its past?

It may look worse than it is, but, considering youre in TX and the land of rustfree metal, perhaps that is a deathknell down there...
It's pretty bad. I can run my finger and end up with a palm full of cab rust. I'm in south Texas so the ocean being so close does mess up vehicles. My father in law to be said Mexico likes to wet sand filler and I think it was either that or they took took it down to bare metal and touched and trapped hand oils under the paint because it all came from under the paint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post

Its nice that texas is the land of rust free metal but there is one disadvantage. Its also the land of destroyed interiors. The sun kills every interior down here eventually.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: Picked Up Another Square!

I think I saw that truck on craigslist.

Did you give up on the red stepside?

I'm in the same boat, the gulf coast rots sheet metal almost as bad as in the great lakes with road salt. I have a 4x4 cab I drug back from San Antonio, has a little rot on the firewall seam I filled in with some fiberglass filler (poorly). Floors, corners, everything else solid although it has the hole in the floor for the transfer case lever that I don't need.

Thinking about heading back to SA and looking for a better one or maybe just paying a body man to clean up this one. Probably cheaper to fix this one, don't know what I want to do yet.

Searched on the web and found a yard in Stonewall (near Fredricksburg) that has a few for about $300 each. Was quoted $800 for an Arizona desert cab delivered. Sucks not having the funny money to spend on these things right now...
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyo_cheez View Post
I think I saw that truck on craigslist.

Did you give up on the red stepside?

I'm in the same boat, the gulf coast rots sheet metal almost as bad as in the great lakes with road salt. I have a 4x4 cab I drug back from San Antonio, has a little rot on the firewall seam I filled in with some fiberglass filler (poorly). Floors, corners, everything else solid although it has the hole in the floor for the transfer case lever that I don't need.

Thinking about heading back to SA and looking for a better one or maybe just paying a body man to clean up this one. Probably cheaper to fix this one, don't know what I want to do yet.

Searched on the web and found a yard in Stonewall (near Fredricksburg) that has a few for about $300 each. Was quoted $800 for an Arizona desert cab delivered. Sucks not having the funny money to spend on these things right now...
This might have been it. It was posted on a Thursday night and I literally called the guy and sped over Friday after work. Worked out a deal and picked it up Saturday.

The step side is still going but the 87's purchase might have pushed the billets out of the equation, which sucks because I think it would have looked sick like this photoshop I did:

I gave up on the 84 by picking this one up. Sucks, but it just wasn't making financial sense to try to save it anymore.

I think it was a good trade off if it had to happen, 84 custom deluxe for an 87 silverado.

Depending on how bad the rust was on the firewall I think it would be better to fix it IF you can find a good trustworthy bodyman. There's a lot of guys out there that like to do half assed work and cut corners. You don't want to invest all that money on a truck and have it rot out like my 84 did a few years down the road.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low84 View Post
It's supposed to be a Silverado......but is there such a thing as a Silverado without a cab band?

It's got A/C, tilt, power locks and windows, dual gas tank, tail gate band, and fender trim.

Is there a way to verify if it is a Silverado with the vin #?
anybody?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
MDc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
I just checked LMC again...I don't see that part listed. Does anyone have a part number for the chrome center stripe?

TIA
Jason
I think its 38-4028, page 62 or close to it
Posted via Mobile Device
MDc10 is offline   Reply With Quote