The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Mrphoto

Bed condition + wood question - Pictures included

So I'm new to the game...new to me truck and all.

It had a piece of sheet metal in there in the bed rattling around...didn't like that...I want wood!

So here are some pictures....please help me and tell me what my situation is please...what am I missing, do I have to do anything special to prepare for a bed kit, do i have to replace anything?

I think there's a fair amount of caked on mud...but there's rust too. Should I clean, scrub, rinse, dry and coat everything with some POR-15 or something first? Or are there major pieces that need to be replaced/purchased?

And this is a 'daily driver' build, not a restoration if that helps clarify my next steps.

Is Mar-K THE BEST place to go for bed kit? Thanks!!!
Attached Images

Mrphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
sigshooter

Re: Bed condition + wood question - Pictures included

Mar-K is the only way to go.... you need the wood, bed strips and bolt kit
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
rbar

I agree on MAR-K and they are having a 10% off sale right now. Looks like you have some rust issues that you will have to clean up, but you could install the wood with some basic cleanup knowing that you might have to address the metal again before you get to the painting process. Their front bed panels are pretty nice too.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed

Last edited by rbar; 10-22-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: ..
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Mrphoto, there is an ongoing thread about alternatives to the typical wood you might want to check out, it seems like it popped up not long ago, you could run a search for it. (here it is: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=bed+wood )

if you end up going with wood I strongly suggest you read Mar-K tests articles, particularly the LONG TERM results. lots of guys go with oak because, I guess, of the appearance. but, IMO, oak is not the best wood for a truck that will see daily use as a truck, especially if it will be parked out in the weather.

http://www.mar-k.com/final_summary.aspx

I like POR and used it on my cross sills, but it would be difficult and messy to paint everything effectively (as in getting at the undersides) while the bed is assembled, even without wood in place.

these things can get to be a real job even if you're not going for "show quality".

you can also do your own wood:

http://www.gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 10-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
1963c-10

Id replace the angle strips also, judging by the condition of them. They are spot-welded in and can be removed by cold chisel, drilling or cutting out. I have found the hammer/chisel to be the most effective.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I did a thread on here for the bed of Ol John Lee. I went w pine as original and used strips and bolts f/LMC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Snowbound

I agree with the others on wood choice. Oak is for trailer queens and trucks that never get wet/used. Once that glossy urethane starts to peel up, you will be hating it.

I plan on using treated pine and cutting it myself. Should last forever and I can throw junk on it without fear of scratching it. A nice transparent stain on top to seal/colour it, and it will not peel off. Save the urethane for the piano.

Good luck!
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
mark 66

I would reccomend mar-k. I bought their whole bed sides and front bed panel as well as the wood kit and strips.very nice stuff. and it all fits as it should.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
slorio

I wouldn't recommend the treated pine. Since they changed the treatment process to eliminate arsenic, the treatment is now very corrosive to steel. All of the framing connectors and nails that come in contact with new treated lumber need to be hot dipped galvanized or stainless to fight off the corrosive properties of that treated lumber. I believe that use of that treated lumber would be very corrosive to the steel in our beds despite any paint you may use.

I hope this is helpful.
regards,
Steve
New Orleans
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Snowbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorio View Post
I wouldn't recommend the treated pine. Since they changed the treatment process to eliminate arsenic, the treatment is now very corrosive to steel. All of the framing connectors and nails that come in contact with new treated lumber need to be hot dipped galvanized or stainless to fight off the corrosive properties of that treated lumber. I believe that use of that treated lumber would be very corrosive to the steel in our beds despite any paint you may use.

I hope this is helpful.
regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Good to know Steve. Might have to go with Redwood then. A little soft, but will never rot.
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote