The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
SCOTI

My 3 on the tree is popping out of gear...

and my speedo is acting very weird.

It used to pop out of gear on the highway @ 60+ mph.... now it's also constantly popping out of 2nd.

The speedo sometimes works.... sometimes doesn't. If I take off from a stop it won't work. But if I slow down w/the truck in gear, the speedo does work. Same thing on the highway, under throttle it won't work.... let off the gas in gear & it will work.... get back on the gas again & it won't work.

I though maybe the tranny mounts were trashed & the trans was shifting around but I checked them & everything looks good. I think Jewels had a similar problem not too long ago & was wondering if a cure was found?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

You might have a problem with the rear ball/roller bearing in the trans. If you drop the d shaft, & get hold of the output shaft(vicebites), check it for excessive end play. Good luck, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
SCOTI

Crazy Longhorn, I'm curious about where your shifter is located in the cab in relation to the seat w/the 6spd. Could you take a measurement from the C/L of the ashtray/dash to the shifter (in neutral) or maybe from the rear glass to the shifter?

As for your suggestion, I was contemplating pulling the trans to check the pilot bushing/bearing & input/output shafts for excessive endplay..... I guess I'll do more than think about it now .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-18-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

From the lower edge of the dash to the center of the shifter in nuetral is approx 16", or from the back cab wall(tank is out) to center is 27". my sb sits in I 6 position, so that gives 3 1/2" setback from factory V8 spot(give or take 1/8"). The shifter is also more centered in the hump, as compaired to a Muncie/Hurst combo. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
gr8scott51

search

Look for the thread by jewels on the same subject. These guys gave the "girl" 3 pages of advice. When I had trouble with my column shift, I put in a Hurst Indy floor shifter. No problem. Even less problem with my 5 speed. The T5 is a top loader, so I retained my bench seat.

goood luck, scott
Old 10-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Re: My 3 on the tree is popping out of gear...

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTI
and my speedo is acting very weird.

It used to pop out of gear on the highway @ 60+ mph.... now it's also constantly popping out of 2nd.
No new ideas on the speedo, other that something is loose.

The trans probably has worn syncros in it, that and/or a bad bearings. Which "could" be causing the main shaft to walk causing the speedo to stop working.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
SCOTI

Thanks guys for the input. I checked the speedo cable @ the trans & it's tight.

My guess is the same problem is causing both symptoms. Does the search work now? I manually went back 30 days to look for Jewels original post but didn't see it. Hell after looking @ so many posts I might have buzzed right past it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-18-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Scoti, I can't help you on your issues, but search "is" working. It was gone so long, I thought it was never coming back....but it did

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:56 PM   #9
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

My 3 speed was popping out of 3rd constantly. I was on my way home one night after work (around 10:30 pm) and she absolutely wouldn't stay in 3rd gear. So I had to stop and started trying to adjust it under the hood. No such luck. After about an hour of this in the cold I finally dealt with it and constantly put it back in third. It popped out about every minute (literally). Anyway, swapped the tranny out for an identical one, and no more problems (duh). We started looking at the tranny and the splined arms that come out of the side cover of the tranny have small clamps on them that the steering column linkage connects to. The clamp would partially turn before it started moving the splined arm and switching gears. Thus, 3rd gear was partially engaged and would pop out once you started going. I know it's a long reply, but it's just my experience with that problem. Good luck. John.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #10
SCOTI

Hhmmm.... I got under there & looked for bad tranny mounts & a worn speedo. I tugged on the linkage but didn't check to see if it could rotate on the shafts, so I guess I should verify the obvious before tearing it all apart. Thanks again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG