The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
weever82

How to order brake line kit with system like this??

Wanting to order all new stainless brake lines but my setup appears to be different than stock/factory pictures I am seeing online.

I was told I have a 9" Mcgaughys booster/mc up front with power brakes/discs and drums in the rear.

My prop valve is no longer under the master cylinder and is back by the right rear tire.

Are the brake lines still factory into the m/c? Don't think the new kit would match up front without the prop valve up there.

Any thoughts?

I am also wanting to switch out the master cylinder for a chrome one and was curious how to tell the bore size? is it a 1"?

Thanks again for all your guys time, I really appreciate it!

Weev-
Attached Images

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: How to order brake line kit with system like this??

I intend to get my brake lines from Inline Tube. You might send them an email and explain your situation and see what they suggest.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
SS Tim

It "LOOKS" like they just pulled the existing drum distribution valve out and used a union to join the lines. This eliminated your brake warning lamp switch. The line going into that added rear adjustable prop. valve appears to be the original line all twisted and rusty. Inline Tubes would be the place to start. Adding a 71-72 combination valve should take care of your warning light and the prop. valve need with a stock 71-72 type installation. They make these new along with the lines and brackets. A SS line kit should be no problem for them. www.inlinetube.com
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Lee H

No offense but no one will be able to match up to that hack job. I second inline tube, I just installed one of their SS kits. Give them a call, they can help you. I would humbly recommend you go back to a stock system that a company spent hundreds of thousands of dollars engineering and perfecting vs trying to mate up with bubbafied mess.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
It "LOOKS" like they just pulled the existing drum distribution valve out and used a union to join the lines. This eliminated your brake warning lamp switch. The line going into that added rear adjustable prop. valve appears to be the original line all twisted and rusty. Inline Tubes would be the place to start. Adding a 71-72 combination valve should take care of your warning light and the prop. valve need with a stock 71-72 type installation. They make these new along with the lines and brackets. A SS line kit should be no problem for them. www.inlinetube.com
So I could order a disc/drum combo value that goes under the master cylinder and just put in a union or new line where the other one is by the rear tire? Then maybe the factory lines would work for it?

thanks again for all your time

Weev-

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
SS Tim

Well yes, I think. Just so we are on the same page. Get with Inline about the right SS line kit for your truck with a conversion. Also their disc brake 71-72 disc conversion combo valve kit with the short lines and the bracket. http://inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/DVD-02.htm Add a full set of new hoses and you should be good to go. Except for the indicator light wiring but that should be a simple thing to sort for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think any of the line companies should be able to help you out.I had no luck with inline.I ordered at a swap meet and half a dozen phne calls and 6 mo later I finally called(took three tries to get thru) and cancelled. YMMV
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
M.Lowrie

Just went through this a few weeks ago with the same master cylinder/booster combo. I purchased a replacement line kit from Inline Tube and "conversion" lines that go from the master to proportioning valve. I then had to re-bend and flare the output lines from the proportioning valve. Here is a picture of it back together.
M.Lowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: How to order brake line kit with system like this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by weever82 View Post
Wanting to order all new stainless brake lines but my setup appears to be different than stock/factory pictures I am seeing online.

I was told I have a 9" Mcgaughys booster/mc up front with power brakes/discs and drums in the rear.

My prop valve is no longer under the master cylinder and is back by the right rear tire.

Are the brake lines still factory into the m/c? Don't think the new kit would match up front without the prop valve up there.

Any thoughts?

I am also wanting to switch out the master cylinder for a chrome one and was curious how to tell the bore size? is it a 1"?

Thanks again for all your guys time, I really appreciate it!

Weev-
Why would u put the valve back by the back tire? weever I know it wasn't u but the PO just can't think of any reason to do this. What good is that for the front brakes, for that matter any of the brakes? I would order all new everything and start over and do it right like the factory had it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
weever82

Must have been cheaper that way... I am ordering a full stainless kit with a disc/drum valve for up front and a new master cylinder. That way everything is new and no problems. Can anyone tell me the bore size of the m/c when I order another one? Seems there is two sizes...

Thanks again guys!

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why would u put the valve back by the back tire? weever I know it wasn't u but the PO just can't think of any reason to do this. What good is that for the front brakes, for that matter any of the brakes? I would order all new everything and start over and do it right like the factory had it.
The added prop. valve is doing exactly what it should be doing back there. That is why the brakes work at all. The trick is adjusting it properly. The purpose of adding a prop. valve when doing a drum to front only disc change is to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes. Drums take far less pressure than discs. The stock combination valve in a drum/drum truck is to distribute the fluid and provide a warning circuit. Now with that removed and a dedicated valve in the rear supply lines the brakes can be adjusted to work, even work well. The problem is you have lost the warning switch capability.
By installing a factory combination (prop) valve it will be set close to what the truck needs as every truck has a different load bias and tire size. Then the rear replacement line set, a front line set specific to discs, hoses and the short M/C to combination valve line will round out the installation. If you choose to install a new M/C (disc specific) then there are even less variables.
Can't advise you on M/C bore size but there tech. line should be helpful.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: How to order brake line kit with system like this??

That's correct and why put the valve under the truck like that.
The pressure setting is the main thing and to test drive the truck hop out climb under it to adjust it just seems very odd to me.
If they would have bought a stock proportioning valve they would have hooked it up and been done.
I guess that's some peoples custom touches!
I would have a hard time trusting that setup for long.

Quote:
weever82,
I am ordering a full stainless kit with a disc/drum valve for up front and a new master cylinder
that's what I would do.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote