The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
jrdecat

Help Choosing Donor

I've done a lot of searching and reading and haven't really come up with a good answer for my alleged project, so I was hoping that someone might have done this or seen this in the past and could provide some insight.

I want a '58 or '59 with modern abs disc brakes and 4x4. I've been looking into s10 frames and they seem to work great with 47-55, but not the 56 and up bodies. I don't care about mounting the bed, as I will be putting a flat bed on so that is no issue. I also don't mind cutting off the old cab mounts and fabbing up some new ones.

Any recommendations on a donor chassis? I was looking into the s10 hoping to use the 4.3 / auto combo, and since '89 and up had abs.

Thanks in advance.
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
jrdecat

Re: Help Choosing Donor

I did use the search button before I posted, and had found this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=44694

But the thread mainly talks about how to make the rear work, not much with the cab and 4x4. That is my main concern.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'm not sure what year that GM went to ABS on the big trucks but remember that a friend of mine who had a Chevrolet dealership here in town at the time was really excited about them when he test drove one.

I think you probably are but in your case I'd be hunting for that running and driving donor rig that has the cracked windshield and torn seat but still runs great and drives good. That would make it a lot easier to sort things out on the chassis before you did the body swap as when you do the swap you will already know you have the engine and chassis working right. I think I would go with a mid 80's full size truck as a donor though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

This is on an 87 C10. Not 4x4 but it would look the same. I think a S10 would be to narrow
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
mr48chev

That truck looks right. Almost appears to be a stock truck.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
jrdecat

Thanks for all the quick replies. I guess i need to get out the old tape measure and go ceawling around. Found quite a few mid 80s full size on cl. I think the toughest part will be getting everything tucked under the dash and all the electronics working correctly. I really want to keep the factory gauges.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
ricott

Look at Dug's 1959 Fleetside thread to see a fresh idea . He is using a 2003 Trailblazer frame. I plan to do this also in my 55TF. You can buy these frames in the 4x4 edition all day long. Has ABS already set up, not to mention 4 wheel disk brakes, good gear ratios, gas tank, R&P steering, and third/fourth gen engines are made for it.
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
jrdecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Look at Dug's 1959 Fleetside thread to see a fresh idea . He is using a 2003 Trailblazer frame. I plan to do this also in my 55TF. You can buy these frames in the 4x4 edition all day long. Has ABS already set up, not to mention 4 wheel disk brakes, good gear ratios, gas tank, R&P steering, and third/fourth gen engines are made for it.
That is a great idea. My search for "59 apache 4x4" turned up just about every thread posted on the forum. I guess the search feature picks up keywords from signatures as well.

Do you just look at the local scrap yards for these setups? Or insurance auctions? I'd like to get one with the drivetrain included, but the price tag of a mid 80's truck is pretty appealing. What do these frames go for in your neck of the woods?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
ricott

I bought a 2002 Trailblazer ext frame (it is 129 inches long) complete (ABS, fuel lines/brake lines/gas tank/electrical system/exhaust system/driveshaft and spare tire setup), as well as the trailblazer floorpan/firewall which includes the steering wheel/dash/wiring/carpet/seats and seatbelts for a $1000. I think doug paid $800 for his. I already had the engine/tranny from a 2003 chevy pickup. I looked at a lot of trailblazes/envoys at a salvage yard and then picked this one because it had a 3:73 posi rear end and relatively low mileage (63,000 from the insurance papers). I see you found Doug's Fleetside build. The documentation he is providing from his build will be invaluable to anyone taking this approach. I bet when he is finished, the Trailblazrer/Envoy frame swap will be like the S10 frame swap is on the AD trucks. My plan will be slightly different from his, I plan to take the approach found in BBEEP's thread "52 GMC Envoy Burb Meld/Build" and use as many systems from the trailblazer as possible. Having just completed a 1966 GTO restomod using the newest technology, I love this approach, but I hope to save a lot of time and money by buying a "complete" vehicle and using all the parts instead of finding parts and then fabricating brackets, etc. to make them work.

Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 10-30-2012 at 09:43 AM.
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
I bought a 2002 Trailblazer ext frame (it is 129 inches long) complete (ABS, fuel lines/brake lines/gas tank/electrical system/exhaust system/driveshaft and spare tire setup), as well as the trailblazer floorpan/firewall which includes the steering wheel/dash/wiring/carpet/seats and seatbelts for a $1000. I think doug paid $800 for his. I already had the engine/tranny from a 2003 chevy pickup. I looked at a lot of trailblazes/envoys at a salvage yard and then picked this one because it had a 3:73 posi rear end and relatively low mileage (63,000 from the insurance papers). I see you found Doug's Fleetside build. The documentation he is providing from his build will be invaluable to anyone taking this approach. I bet when he is finished, the Trailblazrer/Envoy frame swap will be like the S10 frame swap is on the AD trucks. My plan will be slightly different from his, I plan to take the approach found in BBEEP's thread "52 GMC Envoy Burb Meld/Build" and use as many systems from the trailblazer as possible. Having just completed a 1966 GTO restomod using the newest technology, I love this approach, but I hope to save a lot of time and money by buying a "complete" vehicle and using all the parts instead of finding parts and then fabricating brackets, etc. to make them work.

Ricky
Those are great build threads. And with michigan metal works making narrowed control arms and drop spindles for 2wd versions this should make fitment issues with wheels easier to deal with.
Seems there is now more options out there for our trucks than ever. Largely thanks to the folks on this board.:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
danheit

Putting my 55 on a 90 GMC short bed 1500 Sport frame. So far everything is coming together rather nicely. Had to fab new body mounts, and work out the steering and brake pedals, but that's about it. Just food for thought.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote