The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
septantrionalis

New to Me 1974 K10 Cheyenne Super

This past weekend, I saw this truck on Craigslist and decided to snag it. I originally wanted this truck for off-road purposes and to beat up without really caring about it. However, I almost want to restore it now that I've seen some of the projects on here! The truck is in descent shape for its age. The body is in less than moderate shape with rust spots on several panels. The engine, however, looks really good. The previous owner must have dumped all his money into the engine.

When I bought the truck, the front drive shaft was missing. Who would have thought finding a front drive shaft for a 1974 Chevy K10 pickup was so tough! None of the ones I saw on the internet were correct. I visited over a dozen junk yards and none of them fit either. I ended up getting a longer front drive shaft and cutting off about 3 inches and welded it back together.

Here are some photos from my iPhone. The quality is bad because my lens is scratched all to ****:

I also assume this is the build sheet? I found it in the glove compartment:

So now I am debating if I want to restore the truck. If so, this will be my second restoration project. Not sure if anyone cares, but this was my previous project. I ended up "resurrecting" a 1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS with a 396 engine. This project is done, as far as I'm concerned. I'm now enjoying the car by actually driving it.

Before:

After:

Last edited by septantrionalis; 11-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
septantrionalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
zirk

Re: New to Me 1974 K10 Cheyenne Super

Truck looks sweet, pretty solid for its age, should be a fun project. Camaro also looks great
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
septantrionalis

Re: New to Me 1974 K10 Cheyenne Super

Thanks man. I just registered the truck today. The nice thing about Colorado is that if a vehicle is 1975 or older, its considered a classic. Not only do I get classic plates, but it also means the truck is exempt from having its emissions checked and I won't have to register again until 2017 (5 years).
septantrionalis is offline   Reply With Quote