The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
kpdalton

78 camaro front end - steering

Have a truck with a rebuilt 78 camaro front end, new steering box so I was told , but the steering has a lot of play in it. I know rack/pin is the way to go but is there anything i can do to improve this? Aside from replacing the front end to a mustang2.
kpdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: 78 camaro front end - steering

A properly built Camaro clip will steer very well, especially with the close ratio P/S box. One of your "rebuilts" has a problem. Manual steering boxes wear the sector shaft bushings rapidly and don't have a "tell" because they don't leak power steering fluid all over the ground when it happens. Start with the steering shaft/rag joint, then the gear box where the pitman arm goes to the center link, then the center link idler arm then the inner and outer tie rod ends. With someone turning the wheel back and forth and you looking at the parts, you will find the slop and the defective part. Loose or bad wheel bearings can also cause sloppy steering but the brakes will usually be funny too.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Maximus

what speedbump said...

a camaro/firebird clip in proper condition will handle extremely well, heck the 1978 firebird outhandled the corvette in 1978

check for obvious damage in the tie rods/idler arm then go with speedbumps recommended replacement plan. my 78 firebird clip handles great, and I wouldnt change it.

Something is not right with your "new" camaro front end and rebuilt steering box, or the steering shaft connection between the shaft and box is not tight and has play

if everything is truly in top shape, than maybe your best option is to get a quick-ratio steering box. My 1978 firebird formula front clip that I used has the quicker ratio, but I havent driven the "slower" ratio steering box so I couldnt tell ya how much 'quicker' it is...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
mknittle

check the shaft from the column to the box first.O even the coulmn if it is a tilt. start with the simple stuff first. Ithink we all have taken somthing apart just to find that theproblem was elsewhere

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 11-03-2012 at 10:52 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote