The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
silvervic99stang

windshield wipers

I have to buy a new set for my 66 chevy and i was wondering has anyone ever changed it all up to a more modern motor and assembly.. i bought an arm from a auto parts store and the arm has a slip on blade and it keeps falling off any suggestions on this would be apprreciated iwant to get it ready to drive it around..
silvervic99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: windshield wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervic99stang View Post
I have to buy a new set for my 66 chevy and i was wondering has anyone ever changed it all up to a more modern motor and assembly.. i bought an arm from a auto parts store and the arm has a slip on blade and it keeps falling off any suggestions on this would be apprreciated iwant to get it ready to drive it around..

I've installed the Specialty Power Windows cable driven wipers in 64-66 years. They don't make the kit for it but they do work with modifications. You have to locate the motor down on the rs by the fresh air vent.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
astrochimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervic99stang View Post

Modern blade assembly's don't fit our arms, and they have stopped putting the adapters in. You need to buy a "tryco style" (what parts guys around here call em)

Auto Zone can order them, and all the 60-66 truck parts vendors sell them. Looks like about $15 a side.

Need to order a set myself, lucky the modern blades fit my other truck.

David
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The best luck I've had in getting the exact wipers arms I wanted was buying NOS originals from Ebay. The aftermarket versions provided by most of the speciality 60-66 vendors work fine, but some have fewer splines inside the mounting cup that fits over the drive spindle. The originals have more splines, allowing more refined placement of the arms. With NOS arms I can align the arms so the wiper blades rest directly against the lower windshield gasket. With aftermarket arms, one of them always stuck up about an inch above the gasket, which I find annoying.

As for new systems, New Port Engineering now makes a 2 speed auto park system for the 60-66 trucks, with either style wiper motor mounting. I haven't bought a set since recent retirement put a crimp in my hobby spending, but I did have them in my 46 Ford sedan and they worked fantastic. They also sell an intermitent delay option for their setup.

http://www.newportwipers.com/product...0-66&make_id=2
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
With aftermarket arms, one of them always stuck up about an inch above the gasket, which I find annoying.
Had that exact experience with Brother's Trucking components - major disappointment and not cheap. The best of both worlds.

Mac.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Old thread...

Any updated info on this topic?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote