The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
tard01

Paint - Interior question - types

Hi guys, i ripped my console/dash apart to clean it up and to prepare to start a paint scheme.

my question comes in a few parts:
Material/paint combo
Supplier recommendation

I have a 75 c10. My understanding (feel free to correct me, im mostly just guessing cause i'm not an expert identifying material) is that the upper dashboard is vinyl, the instrument panel is plastic, and the bottom part is your typical metal.

That being said, this is a budget job just trying to spruce it up a bit. i probably wont be able to do a legit paint job for at least 1 year. other concerns are more pressing.

So here's my thought for the material/paint type combo:
Vinyl dash top = Vinyl = vinyl/fabric paint (dupli-color)
instrument panel = plastic? = ??? vinyl or normal metal paint??
metal underside = typical metal auto paint - dupli-color?

now for supplier...
Right now, i was probably going to just spray paint the top dashboard black and the instrument panel black, and leave the bottom metal alone (it's blue, not bad looking).

Ideally, for my long term color pattern... I'd like to do the top dash a very dark graphite or charcoal grey, then the bottom metal black... and maybe do a shade of gray for the instrument cluster.... then the metal in the cab would be black and panels would be the graphite/charcoal gray color... same with bench. However, i'm no expert in brands/suppliers... i know dupli-color is a decent brand for smaller jobs, but they don't really have the largest color options for vinyl. I really would like to do a graphite or deep dark charcoal gray for the top dash, but not finding a paint through them for that. does anyone have another brand of spray paint they use/trust for smaller jobs that might be able to get me what i'm after?

this is a list of the vinyl colors dupli-color offers. none are really a dark enough gray for me to be excited about. i'm more likely to just paint it flat black for now and just wait until i find a better option a year down the road.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

these are the enamel colors:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumEnamel/

also, any opinions on flat/gloss...
i expect i need to do a flat black on vinyl... but i was curious what people think about flat black or gloss black on the instrument panel (assuming i paint it black for the moment since i dont have other color options that fight right now)

as always, i appreciate any feedback.
tard01 is offline   Reply With Quote