The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
bj383ss

Help with 64' Stepside Taillights

Hello Guys,

I need some help. I spent all day today getting my truck ready for inspection. I got everything working except the rear taillights blinkers.

Here is what happens when I turn either blinker on both blink like hazards. But the front park lamps don't they blink like they are suppose to independently. I got underneath the back and checked the wiring. The green wire is going to the right and the yellow to the left and the brown to both and the license plate light. I pulled the plug apart and jumped each wire to each side and they worked properly. But when the harness is plugged together they both blink regardless of which side I have turned on. The rear side of the harness had 4 wires coming out of it and it and there was a yellow wire with a brown stripe that was taped and not plugged to anything. What is it suppose to hook up to.

So I thought maybe there is a short inside the plug. So I wired directly to the front harness with blade connectors. It still does the same thing!

Here is the plug sorry its kinda fuzzy.
Name:  DSCN6002.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  42.6 KB

I am stumped. Does anybody know what is wrong here. I assume the wiring inside the column is good or the front blinkers wouldn't be working independently.

The only thing I can think of is the rear taillights are not stock. They both have white lenses on the bottom of them. So I assume they were replaced at some point and they are maybe for a trailer or both left or right assemblies?

This is the only thing keeping me from getting my truck inspected.

Thanks for your help.

Bret
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Help with 64' Stepside Taillights

I cannot answer but this link gives 2 (scroll down to see 2nd pic) schematics that should help solve problem. HTH
>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=312351 <<
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Andice

Re: Help with 64' Stepside Taillights

There could be an issue with your turn signal switch. I battled with mine for weeks. Also, make sure that all of grounds and connections are good and clean.
Andice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Andice

That plug is a mess. Is it possible that two or more of the terminals are touching? Or were they taped?
Andice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
bj383ss

So I figured it out. The PO ran a jumper wires from both rear turn signals to the white wire on the stoplight switch. Pulled the wires off and the turn signals work fine. Not sure why they did this.

The stoplight switch was also bad replaced it but only the right brake light works. I'm sure the left is just a bad wire because the taillight and turn signal work

Bret
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
kieth

If you want to make your lighting more reliable, solder a ground wire to each light housing then run to a common ground point. All your lights will appreciate it. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Z POPPY

Wow! The wiring look very similar to what I removed from my 64. The p.o. used everything from scraps of wire, to yellow 18 guage house wiring, used it everywhere. I would suggest replacing the whole wiring harness or at least the back half. AAW American auto wiring, sells the whole kit or the section you need.
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
chevytrucknut61

I once had a 60 swb that had all kinds of wiring problems. i had brake lights but no tail lights. I got stopped for no lights so to solve the matter ( I was 19) I ran a wire from the headlights to the taillights. Not how it should have been. My brother worked at a gas station, his boss tried to fix the turn signals. He didn't know what I had done so when I hit the turn signal my headlights flashed along with the turn signals. Quite a mess made of the wiring. I wish I still had that truck.
chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote