The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #1
bmg

Oil pan gasket

Hey all gettin ready to put a new oil pan on the 350. Any suggestions of a good gasket to use one that will seal. I have that napa special on there now the blue onepiece. I don't want any more leaks so please give me some info on how to seal it right. I know i have to clean the old off and wipe clean. I will also be changing the timing change cover and gasket also, any suggestions of a good cover and gasket for that will be greatly appreciated also, don't have to be chrome either.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:15 AM   #2
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I've had good luck with the silicone impregnated Fel-Pro gaskets.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
69C10Atl
Trying to stick with it

A word of advice on the timing chain cover. I installed a two piece timing chain cover on my 350 along with a new oil pan. I purchased one of the one piece MR. Gasket oil pan gaskets. First time I rolled the truck out of the garage it had one hell of a leak where the timing chain cover meets up to the oil pan. Come to find out that the grove on the bottom of the two piece timing chain cover is deeper than a stock cover and required a extra thick front gasket. The gasket came with the timing chain cover but when I opened mine, since I already had a new gasket, I threw it away. Needless to say I spent sometime digging through a typically nasty garage garbage can looking for it.
69C10Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #4
bmg72

Go with the one piece Fel-Pro oil pan gasket it can not be over tightened and it will not leak. You may need a little longer oil pan bolt. Milodon makes a nice cover with a reinforced spot for your cam button to ride against it's around $40.00. Check their web site for part#, they also make a cam button for that cover.
bmg72 is offline   Reply With Quote